Phantom Class Forum

• June 13, 2024, 07:45:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 3086 times)

youngster Jordan

What do you think?
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »

Hi all, Im in love with phantom's!!

But the bad thing is i only weigh 71kg's :(

i have a idea but im not sure it would work???

the idea is to buy a second hand phantom something for about £2300-£2400

And Getting a sail maker to make me a radial sail which would allow me to sail in the phantom in a handicap club race.

Obviously i would talk to my club and get a club handicap to suit the boat.

What do you guys think?

i have a budget of about £3000 all in, do you think it could work?

jordan

Alistair426

Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »

Jordan,

Are you trying to flood all the yachting forums and wanted ads?

Face facts. You weigh 71Kg; get something that suits your weight! Your idea for a 'radial' Phantom sail would need a suitable, shorter mast because a shorther luff sail on a standard mast would mean that the flexible top section would be redundant and the sail would be set on the stiffer mid and lower sections. A radial sail would probably cost more than a standard sail because it would be a custom job.

I saw you were asking for a second hand Solution on Apollo Duck....if you are in love with Phantoms, a Solution is probably your best compromise. You are in danger of wasting a lot of time and money finding out that, at your weight, a Phantom isn't a viable option unless you aren't going to sail much above Force 2.

I hope I don't sound too negative and I wish you luck in finding the right boat for you in time for the new season.

Alistair

youngster Jordan

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »

Well thanks for the reply.

It was just a idea. It is so hard to find a solution :(

There are literally 2 i have seen for sale. and they both happen to be out of my price range.

I know this is a phantom forum, But What do you guys think about the Blaze X?

i need something that is going to be able to compete agianst lasers, rs200's and the 1 phantom. Obviously once ive learnt to sail it properly.

Does anyone have any views on the Blaze?

jordan

maxibuddah

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »

Jordan,
in fairness to the Blaze they are good when its windy and rubbish when its not. The hull sticks in the water like glue and a Phantom will sail away. When its windy its the other way round. If you want more info on Blazes please approach their website otherwise you may receive an answer that does everyone a disservice.

As said by Alistair you are most definitely on the light side for a Phantom and even with a cut down sail you will struggle in almost all winds, not impossible, but it will be a struggle. If you really want to do the Phantom thing buy an old one to try it out, don't spend too much only to find that it is too much and you need to sell it again. Another method is to try one out. Get somewhere and have a go in one, you cannot beat experience in a boat. The difficulty will be in finding someone to let you.

Further on the sail thing, well I guess that you would only be able to use it at your club and it may not be within the rules. I cannot remember the class rules on cut down sails, but I think the only ones I have seen are about 90% full size, not a lot of difference really.

I think that your best option is to start eating loads of pies & curry and get some weight on. As long as you are fit even a lightweight can propel these things at some speed.

MaxiB
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Alistair426

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »

Jordan,

You got two pages of responses to this very question when you posed it on the Y&Y forum! Contact the Blaze Association and get yourself a ride on one. Doesn't matter what other people think...it's your money and just because somebody else likes the Blaze, it doesn't mean it is the boat for you.

youngster Jordan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »

Very true. experience is a good idea.

i have a friend at my club who would probally let me have a go.

its a very hard choice to choose a boat with my weight range.

sadly i am also one of these people that finds it very hard to put on weight.

jordan

Coastbuster

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »

Have you ever heard of a TROLL!! :-*

Simon 'Postbuster'  1218

Big + Lardy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »

Have you ever heard of a TROLL!! :-*

Simon 'Postbuster'  1218

Do but i dated once once....Big mistake..

B & L..
Big + Lardy

Coastbuster

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »

Do but i dated once once....Big mistake..

B & L..
  Oooooooh dangerous ground with an open forum.  I'm not coughing to nothin!

Simon 'potroaster' 1218

Alistair426

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »

....and the three billy goats gruff went 'trip, trap, trip, trap' over the rickety, rackety bridge.

Of course I've heard of a troll!!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up