Phantom Class Forum

• June 13, 2024, 03:16:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: overpowered  (Read 1788 times)

overpowered
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »

hi all
693 deep hull woody has had her winter refit and is now racing again. I want to do better this season and would like some help. What do you all mean by being overpowered. Upwind if a gust hits I either hike out, let out the mainsheet or luff up, or all, to deal with it. I used to over react, but am better now. I pull on the outhaul to flatten the sail (and some cunningham too) but I don't feel threatened upwind. What do you mean by overpowered.
But the nub is I loose all my ground upwind. There is a fantastic clip on u-tube of Andy Couch passing a Laser on a reach, well I did that Sunday, walked passed it easy, but then I loose it all upwind. Am I being windy??
I have the mast set at 22' 6" with rig tension on, and no longer mess with it during a race.
Any ideas

Bill

Re: overpowered
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

Hi all
Have just read 'back to basics' n page two and found some answers, but any comment wil be apreciated

Bill

Ex Phantom sailor

Re: overpowered
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »

I used to sail a deep woody with a tin rig, and also a self draining woody with a tin rig. In club handicap racing both were competitive against Lasers in light/moderate stuff, though in a blow I'd often experience the sensation you recall of flying past Lasers downwind, then being passed upwind. Frustrating!

I found that once I'd done the basics (ie made sure the sail wasn't completely shot, put on  enough kicker, flatten outhaul, pull on downhaul, sit out hard) I could make the boat a lot easier to keep flat upwind - and hence sail quicker - by dumping the forestay so the rig came aft.  This of course assumes you have an adjustable forestay, and if you're built anything like me you'll probably have to do this for every tack otherwise you'll struggle to get underneath the boom. I think there used to be a video on this site showing how it's done by the good guys, but even at my level it made a heck of a difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up