Phantom Class Forum

• May 01, 2024, 10:35:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet Roxy - Hull number 10  (Read 1246 times)

Roxy10

Meet Roxy - Hull number 10
« on: May 31, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi, Introducing my myself (Ronnie) and my lovely classic Phantom number 10, "On de Rocks" (a.k.a. Roxy).  She was advertised in Apollo Duck in the Autumn and I bought her just before lock down.  She is in lovely condition for her age and gets lots of lovely comments at the club. If I can get some photos of us on Ulley SC (Sheffield/Rotherham/M18 area) sorted out I will post them.

Hull number 10, was built by the Phantom designers Paul Wright and Brian Taylor at their yard but not in sequence, having been started in 1971 as a kit but not fitted out until the new century.  I think of her as a 50 year old boat, not a 20 year old one.  I would love to know more about her history.  She has a Broads number and has been raced so I assume she will have been registered and measured here at some point. 

I am returning to sailing after 35 years from a wooden OK in Hartlepool Bay (Tees Sailing Club).   Buying her just on background reading was a huge gamble for me and everything seems to be so wrong but also so right.   I thought I had made a big mistake at first but not any more.
The main thing is that Phantoms seem to want to go fast and straight most of the time so I have no idea how I am going to learn how to read our tiny reservoir to become nimble and tactical, but I intend to try.

We aren't racing yet and I haven't even got the ropes sorted (no Cunningham or tell-tales for example) but what a wonderful club Ulley SC is for tips, training and a friendly atmosphere.  It is just a pity no other Phantoms are around.

I have been told that my situation is like putting a learner driver in a Ferrari!  I can relate to that but already I have passed a couple of lasers on a reach and I am the one that has stayed upright in the gusts (ok, I admit, they are the ones racing and I am not but here's a racing tip from me - from what I can tell, sails perform better when they are out of the water ;D ).  I suspect I am going to be made to eat those words!

If only I had returned to sailing a year or two earlier I think I would have got her measured and brought her to the Nationals for a 50th birthday party but alas that's not an option.  I will look forward to reading about the classic boats that did make it.

So, I know we are not going to trouble the leader-board any time soon (ever) but that's not the point.  Even at 50, Roxy is an exciting boat and she needs a good helm. I intend to become one. I am sure that if Roxy could talk, she would be pleased to meet you all.  So am I.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:31:46 AM by Roxy10 »

MattButler

Re: Meet Roxy - Hull number 10
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:40:25 PM »

Hi Ronnie

If you are sailing at Ulley SC I would suggest joining the North and Midlands regional group on Facebook - assuming you use this platform and you haven't already. It can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622240501356271

This is used a lot more than the forum.

Matt - Co-regional Rep, North and Midlands.
Matt Butler
1346 'Maud'

stevepopple

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 10:33:29 PM »

Evening
Phantom 10 was at Shoreham SC (south coast) for 2\3 years till about 2018. Her then owner was a young chap who we hardly saw. Not sure if he ever raced. Ivan may remember more than me. Hazy but I think he said '10' wasn't actually built until the kit was 30 years old & the kit plus rudder etc had been kept in a dry garage having been bought by his father.
Yes, a nice looking boat which I hope you'll enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:35:29 PM by stevepopple »

Roxy10

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »

Hi Steve, thanks for the information.  That's the chap I bought from.  He is from a sailing family and I met his father who you say might be the original owner since 2001.  So I probably now have ownership details back to 1971, which is great. 

I have just found her posted in the classifieds here.  Although I am sure it isn't that unreasonable given that the sail is very good and the hull had recently been restored but I would have passed this ad by at that price and I see everyone else did too!

http://www.phantomclass.org.uk/classifieds/9-for-sale/102-classic-wooden-phantom-sail-num
Pages: [1]   Go Up