Phantom Class Forum

• April 25, 2024, 10:44:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving kicker to outside cleats  (Read 1843 times)

Jon Shaw

Moving kicker to outside cleats
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »

Hi all,

I have put turning blocks on the foredeck and moved my kicker to the outside set of cleats. Combined with the take-up system (thanks for the video explanation Olly!) it is fantastic upwind.

It does now catch on the outhaul when the boom is right out though. I am struggling to find longer shackles skinny enough to go through the existing blocks, so wondering if the answer is (much) longer shackles attached to the mast foot fitting, replacing the blocks, or something else?

All suggestions welcome of what you have done if you've moved the kicker.

And has anyone tried the alternative of moving the outhaul and Cunningham turning blocks forward from the standard 2007 fit out place? I'm not sure if I have room unless I move everything else too (daft idea) or use double blocks on a single fitting for both. I suspect that one of these is what people are doing when fitting out new boats, though.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
Re: Moving kicker to outside cleats
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »

Hi Jon,

I'll see if I can get you some photos but basically you might benefit from adding a Dyneema rope strop around the mast to replace the main kicker shackle attachment (assuming that's how "Mutley" remains rigged).

I have the same issue but the strop around the mast and one of the "on trend" ring thingy seems to deal with it.
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Jon Shaw

Re: Moving kicker to outside cleats
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »

Thanks Chris. Sounds like there could be another schism in the fleet to me. Mine currently has three of the forged shackles bolted to the mast foot fitting, to spread the load. P&B put them there when replacing my chewed up old mast foot deck fitting, as that was what the Northampton folk were doing at the time. It does mean that two of the three purchases are further forward (and so closer to the outhaul).

My current thoughts were either new floating blocks with a dyneema attachment (so it can be extended), or just adding in soft shackles to move all of the existing kit aft a bit, given I can tie my own.

The other thing is about whether it is better to have the kicker pulling the boom towards the deck or the mast I guess? I'm sure I've read something about this, but can't remember the pros and cons. I'm also still trying to break your old superspars carbon treetrunk, in case anyone wants to enlighten me and that makes a difference.

Hope you are getting out on the water.

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up