Phantom Class Forum

• March 19, 2024, 08:51:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 Update  (Read 2495 times)

Chris Shelton

COVID-19 Update
« on: March 21, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »

Despite the best laid plans, everything is now in disarray because of the coronavirus. All clubs are officially shut, althouth one of the best ways to self isolate would be to sail a Phantom by yourself.
Therefore the first event of the inaugral South East Series at Shoreham on 12/13th April will not take place. We would like to think that it is postponed, rather than cancelled, but at this stage we do not know whether a new date can be rearranged.
At the time of writing, the second event at Downs SC on 16/17th May is still on the calendar. However this will be kept under review and a final decision will be made closer to the date.

Chris Shelton
1211   1473

The Belgian

Re: COVID-19 Update
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »

Thanks Chris,
I think we will be very unlikely sailing in May, hopefully will by the end of June.
See you have a new Boat and look forward to racing against it soon.
Good luck
Ivan 1454 (Bruce)

Chris Shelton

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »

Well spotted Ivan. Hopefully Ovington will have it finished this week and I can get hold of it to finish off the fit out. Once that is done I will be desparate to try it out.
Unless we gat banned from leaving home I am sure I will get it on the water.
Chris  1473

The Belgian

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »

'Bruce' is fast, you might as well stay at home anyway Chris to avoid disappointment !!
Ivan 1454

Chris Shelton

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »

We are now at the end of April and well into what should be the normal start of the sailing season. However we are still under lockdown and if you have managed to get afloat this year you are one of the lucky ones.
It will come as no surprise that I regret to inform that the planned South East area Open Meeting on 17th May at Downs SC has been postponed. Even if the Government relax restrictions on 7th May, unfortunately there would be insufficient time to get the club out of mothballs ready to run an Open event. If we are eventually allowed out on the water and we can find another date we will try to re-schedule for later in the year. In the meantime lets hope that we can go to Felpham on 13/14th June.
However there is some good news. My new boat was delivered by Ovington last week and I am busy fitting all the rope work and getting it set up. Once it is done I will be itching to get on the water.
Chris  1211  1473
P.S. 1211 will be up for sale one the loackdown is eased, so if anybody is interested ??
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:51:29 PM by Chris Shelton »

Neil 758

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »

I see the golfers are trying to make plans to re-open the golf courses asap. Hopefully the sailing clubs won't be too far behind. Would be great to get out on the water, even if the clubhouses stay closed. 

Chris Shelton

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »

I regret to inform you that the 3rd event of the South East Series (Felpham SC on 13th/14th June) has now also been cancelled. Whilst there is now some hope that sailing may re-start shortly, Open Meetings with visiting sailors seem to be a step too far at the moment.
We can now only hope that by October things are a bit more "normal" and our 4th and final event at Broadwater SC can go ahead.
In the meantime I hope that all Phantom sailors stay well and manage to get on the water soon.
Chris  1473

Chris Shelton

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »

Despite the optimism in my previous post, the Covid situation is still with us and the fourth and final event in the inaugral South East Series at Broadwater has also been cancelled. Whilst it is good that some of us are managing to get some club sailing, its a shame that there have been no Phantom events this year. Let's hope that next year is better.
Whilst talking about next year, the autumn is the time when the following year's events tend to be be planned. If anybody has suggestions for South East venues for 2021 please pass them on to me so I can start working on a calendar.
Chris  1473
Pages: [1]   Go Up