Phantom Class Forum

• April 19, 2024, 09:48:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative adjustable lowers set-ups?  (Read 3682 times)

Jon Shaw

Alternative adjustable lowers set-ups?
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »

Hi all,

My lowers are starting to unwind themselves. I could just get a rigger to replace them (not that easy as the fitting to the purchase is a hard one), but I'm wondering if anyone has tried either of these alternatives?

Single string rig adjustment
This must be possible with the right purchases, right? I'm thinking that the two arguments against are losing the ability to leave the lowers slack in a drifter, and potentially some loss of adjustment of the forestay, once the lowers are block to block. Any other reasons not to consider this? Has anyone ever tried?

Putting all purchases on the foredeck
I was considering jsut buying some T terminals and making up dyneema lowers. This made me wonder why some of the purchase is on the lower itself, rather than cheek blocks on the deck, with a single block at the shroud fixing point? Given that would keep more of the rope out of the UV, is this just a space issue, or is there another reason?

All thoughts and experiences gratefully received. Strong chance I won't get round to actually doing anything before the Nationals, so please feel free to come and find me and show off your pride and joy....

Jon

The Belgian

Re: Alternative adjustable lowers set-ups?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »

Hi Jon,
Don't forget the lowers brace the mast when pulling on kicker and you usually need lots of kicker if your dropping rig tension so can't see linking the 2 working...
One day we will reward you for the effort you put into travelling and supporting the Nationals and have one in Scotland. I got a newish road base yesterday so no excuse I'll be up there bonny lad !!
See you at Lee on Solent
Ivan 1454

maxibuddah

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »

There are some photos of the boat I mentioned with all the string on my facebook feed here - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2514647761893152&id=100000438582984&sfnsn=xwmo

I hope the link works ok. They are high res so you should be able to zoom in on them.
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Jon Shaw

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »

Ace, thanks Ian. It looks like what I was thinking should be possible - the lowers purchase is somehow attached to the forestay on the foredeck so that easing forestay automatically pulls on the lowers. But it looks like there is all kinds of complexity in the purchase, presumably to get the ratio right.

Has anyone on here tried the other thing I was thinking of (getting rid of the purchase on the lower shrouds and putting the string on the foredeck)?

Jon

maxibuddah

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »

as for the latter point Jon, I can't see that it matters, mine has a two to one on the deck and a two to one on the lower. Not sure what that achieves as its bloody difficult to pull on with any sort of tension on, so if I have to let that off to pull the lowers anyway it might as well not had the extra purchases anyway. This is mine -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2537456539612274&set=a.268853999805884&type=3&theater

The lowers are pulled on by the white string on the cleat on the foredeck, not the plate on the sitedecks. There are multiple purchases on the foredeck too.

As for the former, yep you're right, it was a nightmare from what I understood at the time. Wouldn't even know who to talk to about it.

I may be able to find some more photos, but would be easier if I can send you them directly if you are on Facebook. Give me a shout on it, look for Ian Jay and you'll my ugly mug in my phantom
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:19:28 PM by maxibuddah »
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up