Phantom Class Forum

• June 16, 2024, 04:49:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chew Valley and Southern Travellers Results  (Read 3204 times)

One Life

Chew Valley and Southern Travellers Results
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

With the Chew Valley results just being published.....

1st - Coastbuster
2nd - Pie Man
3rd - Not So
4th - One Life

I make that 5 Races to count with 4 disgards.......Once again Coastbuster bags the Southern Series...... Well done Hawkesy :D

gordon Kingston

Re: Chew Valley and Southern Travellers Results
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »

Hi Nick
I win lots at club level by just turning out more than most.
Its not as if he is quick or anything!
Joking apart well done Simon hope the battle with mayonaise head and not so slow continues next year.
Regards
Gordon

gordon Kingston

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »

Hi Nick
I just checked the final result sheet for the southern series and Tim the Pieman wins Hawksey second.
Regards
Gordon

maxibuddah

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »

The pieman has pointed out that I have ballsed up on the overalls so I will be checking them tonight and hopefully sorting them out.

As for the chew results they are as chew Valley supplied me so if you think they are wrong please feel free to approach them.

A similar thing happened at the southerns where we sailed in a big fleet. Once the phantom results have been taken out it changed the overall positions from the regatta. It stayed with the overall extracted results then and as such it should stay the same for this event too.

I feel much discussion required to sort out a common approach for next year so that slow knows where he is when working out the results.
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

gordon Kingston

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »

Hi Maxi
if you are going to have confused results cant you make it so I you win and me second.

maxibuddah

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »

Not sure what has happened now that I've had a quick look, with 4 wins each they have tied, should then go to number of seconds which Simon has two and Tim has none so Simon should win. I will open up sailwave later and have a proper look.

maxibuddah

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »

It looks like in sailwave that if you have the series tie resolution for RRS A8.2 ticked it seems to take precedence over the RRS A8.1, not sure why as this is the second level of decision.

If A8.1 is applied (and I may have this wrong so please feel free to fling dirt at me) then if there is a tie for the series then the results are written down in order and at the first place where there is a difference then the helm with the lower score at that point takes the win.

What is does not say though is whether the series tie is applicable to the whole of the results over the series or just the counting (i.e. non discard scores) ones. I have always presumed that the tie happened with the minimum number of counting races and then you applied A8.1, whereas is the option for A8.2 is ticked in sailwave it would imply that in fact what you do is to see if there is a tie with the counting races, then you score all races and only then if a tie remains do you apply A8.1. Have I got this right or wrong?

maxibuddah

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »

Looking further into it maybe its because ISAF consider a discarded score as 'excluded'. A8.1 says that the tie will be decided by the order of best to worst and no excluded scores will be considered. This must therefore mean that the tie can only be settled by A8.1 using the counting races and as both Tim & Simon had 4 wins then this cannot break the tie.

A8.2 then says that the tie must be broken by the order of their scores in the last race, which would mean that Tim won it and Simon had a second. This would suggest that Tim would win the series overall, despite the fact that Simon had beaten him in more races than Tim had beaten him.

Am I reading this correctly guys, someone out there must actually know the rules and this scoring thing actually works

One Life

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »

Thats cleared that up then.......... ??? ???

maxibuddah

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »

the theory being that if I confuse everyone enough then no one will question the results....

gordon Kingston

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

Hi Maxi
I am sure the class can come up with some more interesting solutions to a tie break.
Pie eating by name got to favour Tim.
boat bimbling Simon.
Yard of ale at the Dinghy exhibition would give the other classes something to laugh at.
Regards
Gordon

JeremyH

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »

Looking further into it maybe its because ISAF consider a discarded score as 'excluded'. A8.1 says that the tie will be decided by the order of best to worst and no excluded scores will be considered. This must therefore mean that the tie can only be settled by A8.1 using the counting races and as both Tim & Simon had 4 wins then this cannot break the tie.

A8.2 then says that the tie must be broken by the order of their scores in the last race, which would mean that Tim won it and Simon had a second. This would suggest that Tim would win the series overall, despite the fact that Simon had beaten him in more races than Tim had beaten him.

Am I reading this correctly guys, someone out there must actually know the rules and this scoring thing actually works

This is the way I have understood it.  I.e. for counting races you then add up 1st's 2nd's etc. and if it is still tied as in this case with 4 1st's each, then it goes last race etc.  Excluded races do not count. ...  I guess the principle is that usually the reason for excluding races is to recognise that such as gear breakages do happen, so in order to not penalise, then excluded races should be for ever excluded. On that basis I think the lightwieght bandit has it ...  lets just pray for more windy meetings next year. :D

Coastbuster

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »

Right.  Thats that then.  Well done Tim.  Great competition all year and as I found out at Hayling week a wonderful and helpful guy as well. Season was rounded off beautifully when we attended Chew.  Phantoms showed their paces on a reduced handicap against some really good competition. I won one race well and Tim won the second race with resounding style and panache. For the record we were all exceptionally well behaved in respect of all rules ( Phantoms) and it was the sort of racing you see rarely with consideration, conversation around the course and cut throat rivalry thinly veiled with a smile. That included Nick and Nick
Will get him next year.
Season round up to be published shortly! Sorry Tim ..............................no offence ::)

maxibuddah

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

If Simon has conceded and also it turns out that my latter interpretation of the rules is actually correct I will amend the results to get them sorted properly. Well done Tim on the sailing and also well done Simon on the manner of your acceptance, oh and well done everyone else who took part this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up