Phantom Class Forum

• May 16, 2024, 03:16:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008 Calendar  (Read 3672 times)

SChilds

• Global Moderator
2008 Calendar
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:50:30 PM »

I am now working on the 2008 Calendar.

Hopefully we will get the best supported Opens to form the SuperSeries again.  These will not clash with other meetings, and if possible will not have a big event either side of the weekend. We are going for fewer better quality events - and better turnouts.

Anyone wanting an Open please let me know asap. with some options of dates -  I have provisionally booked in Stone, Inlands and Nationals. Will put something on the site soon.

Eastern & South Western Series Boys - have you decided on any dates / no. of events yet? Would be good if we could extend the events into later in the year too if poss. How about a Midlands or Northern series?

If anyone has any contacts re-sponsoring the Series please let me know

Cheers for now.
Simon
1376- :-)

Doug

Re: 2008 Calendar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »

If we're going for best turnouts, then surely Creeksea should feautre?

And by the looks of things, Hickling looks like it might be a big one as well.
Doug Conway

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »

Simon,

Creeksea would like a July weekend as usual.  I expect  that being a tidal venue we shall be close to the Stone dates though.  I shall let you have dates tomorrow (got to buy a 2008 Almanac...).

The Eastern Series finishes this weekend at Hickling and we shall be canvassing entrants for their views on the events to include.

Chris.

Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

phil

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »

At Delph we have just started work on the calender for 08 we are trying to fit it in early june or earlier if there is space .Some more opens up north would be good if possible 
Phil 1382

The Kitchen

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:58:09 PM »

Hickling would like one please. Its generally coupled on the back of the Autumn Open which is provisionally the 11th/12th October 08.

Cheers

Si
1269 - Kitchen

crack1

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:55 PM »

I would arrange another open at Staunton Harold but if its on best supported we have no chance....  :)

I think we should ban the use of Windguru and UK wind map etc on open meeting weekends  ::)

See you all soon

Brett

Russell

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »

I have to agree with Brett on that one.  I always turn up regardless of the forecast because its not always right, or not until just after I have set off anyway.  OK the first Beastie was a mistake - correct forecast, 50mph gusts.

We have had a number of light forecast events that have had very poor turnouts this year.  Cotswold was the worst victim of this with about 6 entries and very pleasant days sailing was had despite the forecast.

SH & Bowmoor really were light, Weymouth was light but sailable, shame they sent us a million miles out to sea, Lyme was just bizarre but a nice weekend by the sea.

I think maybe you should get different points for turning up at an event even if it is not sailed - so in a series, rather than a DNC counting as total number of entries in the series + 1, you should get total no of entries at that event + 1?  Maybe that doesn't quite work but you see where I'm coming from?

Anyway I expect Bowmoor would like a meeting next year, Mike Tustin is the fleet captain, I have forwarded on your mail Simon.  We have 4 regular Phantoms there now.

Russell

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »

I think maybe you should get different points for turning up at an event even if it is not sailed - so in a series, rather than a DNC counting as total number of entries in the series + 1, you should get total no of entries at that event + 1?  Maybe that doesn't quite work but you see where I'm coming from?

This has been trialled on the Eastern Series this year. I think most people would agree that those turning up at an event deserve some reward even if no races are sailed etc.

Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

Doug

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »

what about turning up with out a boat though??  ;D
Doug Conway

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »

yeah I was denied that one!
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"