- 2 (7.7%)
4 Days, 10 Races, 8 to count
- 3 (11.5%)
5 Days, 13 Races, 11 to count
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: June 10, 2010, 09:38:11 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 Nationals - A question for the AGM in 2010  (Read 5308 times)

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
2011 Nationals - A question for the AGM in 2010
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »

AT the AGM we will ask the Question to get a formal vote on Races and number to count, I was als0 interested if you are interested in extending the event over more days too?

Feel free to comment, use your vote wisely...

John - PCAS
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Phil_1193

• Administrator
Re: 2011 Nationals - A question for the AGM in 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »

Can we split the poll into two options?

Personally i think extending to four or more days should be a separate question.

Also should there not be an option for 3 days, 6 races, 5 to count?  ;D

Just a thought as then there could be one race on the first day to allow people 'extra' travelling time, and those that can't afford the time off work/ away from family etc are not at as much of a disadvantage?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:53:48 AM by Phil_1193 »

maxibuddah

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »

Oh please don't make it any longer. At the moment it sits quite nicely in the calendar and means that it doesn't interfere with family holidays. If it is any longer then it becomes almost a week long affair meaning yet more time off, more cost and more grief from the family. In my eyes one of the biggest benefits of a short event as currently stands is that it is a great social and great sailing. The format allows for all to attend. I honestly believe that if you make it longer you will get a reduction in the numbers attending.

This question was asked last year and was rejected as far as I can remember. I agree with Phil, can you also set up another poll please Titch that asks the fundamental question of whether the event should be extended. Once this is agreed on the the question should be asked on the number of races.

As I said last year don't sacrifice the masses for the elite's benefit.
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

I have no intention of doing anything, the membership will decide what to do, I am just asking the question and provoking your thought patterns ;D

But we have been asked by a member to have a vote on duration and races and discards so we will :o

Seems to be working :D

John - PCAS
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

gordon Kingston

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »

Hi Titch
I went to west wales but i could not make the Friday because of work comitments and it would have been a better insentive to come if i could have sailed 5 races all to count, i turned up anyway but just for the chance to race other boats.
(hoping to beat that result this year plumb last!)
Regards
Gordon

The Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

I'm with M/B on this.

Like Phil, I also think that it should be possible to qualify across two days to maximise turnout.

The Kitchen

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

Another option might be to have a separate prize for those that only sailed the sat/sun with one discard.

It seems wrong to me to dilute the nationals by reducing the number of races to count in order to accomodate those that cannot squeeze in all days. Consistency is the main thing if one wants to do well, and more discards is not going to help to identify the winner, i.e. the most consistently quick sailor. I suspect anyone in with a serious chance would be there regardless of the duration/race format.

I'd love to do a longer nationals, but don't think its practical in terms of time off work for many people therefore i think attendance would drop. Again, there could be prizes for a 2/3 day championship within the main championship for those that couldn't do a longer event.
1269 - Kitchen

nibor

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »

2 pennyworth - I agree with the current 3 day set up, the idea of a 2 day "mini" championship within the championship is not a bad thing either - just please get it back to September.

Cheers

Robin

maxibuddah

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »

I am assuming that Lyme will be in september as far as I know they cannot hold championships in the school holidays time cos it might interfere with the grockles spending vast sums of dosh on worthless tat

The Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »

+1 for September.

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »

I agree with the Kitchen - spot on Si..
Simon
1376- :-)

maxibuddah

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »

The kitchen only wants a longer series cos he wants to drink more.
Certainly the series within a series would be interesting but would you only restrict it to those who could attend the two days (or whatever number)? As it would probably be very few would it be better to spend effort on trying to encourage the older boats to the nats and/or setting up a concerted effort at a buddying system to encourage the slower helms?
I think that the class needs to sort out its direction properly. Decide on whether it is going to concentrate on the top end of the fleet, in which case extend the event,etc, or rather support all of the fleet and the top guys just have to race amongst themselves. Maybe it is possible to do both. Would the slower sailors find it patronising, i don't know but more thoughts to discuss.

gordon Kingston

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »

Hi Ian
As somebody who has done a few nationals but mostly as crew in various boats. I would be glad of any help i can get, and fully intend to make use of any former owners of my boat, ex 505 crews and sail makers etc i know to help me  at the cost of a few beers.

In fact can we sort out two way radios so i can ask questions etc as i am going round! or is that two much like remote control sailing.
Gordon

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »

The buddy system is a good idea, in the B14's they used to split it after day 1. 1st place with last, 2nd with 2nd last etc. Then for the remainder of the event the buddy teams can win daily spot prizes for combined team points.
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

The Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

The top helms get the class into the news but the tip of every iceberg is supported by the 90% that you don't see.

If the only people that went to a Nationals were those expecting a top 10 place it would be rather quiet on the start line, we have to make some compromise to the racing ideals in order to accommodate as many interests and abilities as possible.

May I suggest that the success of the Phantom is that it is a "real world" class.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up