Phantom Class Forum

• May 14, 2024, 11:59:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: **** REPORT: Rollesby Broad Eastern Series Open 24th June 2007 ****  (Read 1901 times)

Chains

• http://www.rbsc.org.uk

Sunday 24th June was pencilled in the diary for the 5th round of the Eastern Series sponsored by Tempera batter and Males love speed marine. With a high level of support for the series seen at recent events another good turnout was anticipated and I was delighted to be joined by fourteen visitors, including geographically displaced Team Norfolk member Clive all the way from Margate, for an exciting day of racing.

The wind god delivered an exceptional day with the wind running straight down the broad so allowing the race officer to use the whole length of the broad and the competitors to use every inch of water. Rod Thorpe, a slim god, kindly delivered the eagerly awaited baseball caps and a “new with tags” fashion was adopted by the worthy wearers.

Racing was tight throughout the fleet, and despite a clean sweep at the top Chris Sallis was made to work hard for his glory. The moral of never giving up was learnt by me during race two as “anything could happen” and it did. I had that race pencilled in as a discard but suddenly, without warning a few lucky shifts resulted in a second place. Pleased you might say, until I was pipped overall by the king of the countback James Case from Wells SC. You can see I am not bitter! What events are you planning to do James?

Unluckiest man of the day was 90% Rod. Was he over or was the sail number call a digit out? We will never know but he took it like the true sportsman he is, and was rewarded with fourth overall ahead of Chris (am I in the paper?) Roberts.

Despite the moderate conditions the evil boat fairy had been at work and Simon split his carbon! and Paul cracked a shroud plate. Fortunately competitive camaraderie saw Simon lent a spare extension whilst Paul was advised to file a warranty claim under the sale of Phantom goods act (Creeksea 2007).

Marcus proved that you could get better with every race you sail and Clive and Jim proved that there are battles to be had for all the places. With rumours of two new ovi’s soon to join the series it would appear that the arms race continues and we look forward now to the double header of Stone on 7th July and Creeksea the weekend after. Can the Essex boys extract their revenge on Team Norfolk.

1st Chris Sallis (Slippy Sallis just slides away) Gt. Yarmouth & Gorleston SC
2nd James Case (countback king) Wells SC
3rd Me (again on count back - I’m not bitter) Rollesby Broad SC
4th Unlucky Rod Thorpe (they think he's over - he is now) Greeksea SC (thats what it says on the entry)
5th Chris Roberts (figthing the flu) CSC

Daren
1183 Chains on Velvet (yes it is a goth night!)

Full results can be found at

www.rbsc.org.uk

then follow the race results link

Good luck to all at Stone. I will see you at Greeksea refreshed from my hols.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:52:18 PM by Chains »
1349 Jade
Pages: [1]   Go Up