Phantom Class Forum

• May 21, 2024, 02:57:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downwind gybing angles  (Read 2399 times)

NeilB

Downwind gybing angles
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:18:07 AM »

Winter handicap series on Plymouth sound has been predominantly windward leeward courses, which is what I believe is hitting my performance on handicap as sailing against boats with better dead down wind performance eg int canoe, tasar and enterprise - wing on wing dead down wind,  Lasers by the lee pretty quick dead down wind and various symmetric spinnaker boats, Merlin, GP14.  I've been doing OK on the beats but loosing ground on the runs.
I have been sailing angles generally with wind generally 150 to 160 deg relative, which I thought would be quicker than dead down wind.  Am I wrong should I be going deeper?  Been lightish lately so playing the waves and angle to them not been an issue.  Appreciate your thoughts.

MattButler

Re: Downwind gybing angles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »

Hi Neil. I sail predominantly inland which will likely affect any advice I can give, however, I do sail a fair amount of W/L at my club. For me the trick is 2 fold, gauging the wind and having the boat set correctly. In light wind I sail at quite shallow angles, the extra distance of a tighter angle doesn't seem to be made up by the increase in speed. In heavy wind it depends how brave I feel. Dead downwind in a blow can be fast, but I find it hard to keep the boat stable. Often I take a skiff approach, bang in as few gybes as possible. It also depends how consistent the wind is, I often work hard to keep the boat in the best pressure, which means sailing all kinds of angles just to get into the breeze. Its a balancing act that I am still learning to be honest.

My greatest single improvement was making sure I had the rig tensions set right - though granted this was in a boat with fixed lowers. Keep the mast straight and lower tension on to reduce de-powering downwind. When I had fixed lowers, I had them set too loose to allow for upwind speed, but putting the rig tension back on wasn't tensioning the lowers enough downwind. Obviously if you have adjustable lowers that's easy to fix. If not, its just balancing upwind and downwind tensions. Hope that helps!
Matt Butler
1346 'Maud'

NeilB

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »

Matt,
I've got adjustable lowers, but must admit to being a bit of a set for the wind on the day and leave them, not adjusting for up/down wind.
I'm thinking that all other things being equal (tide and pressure) I just need to bite the bullet and sail deeper even if it feels slow; I guess I'm just not making up the extra distance I'm sailing at the moment.

MattButler

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:48:38 AM »

I'll be honest, it loathed W/L when my club first introduced them into the weekly race format. Couldn't see how I was ever going to outpace the Lasers and Aeros who can sail by the lee easily (which I have seen people do in a Phantom, not sure how it works entirely!). But overtime you do get a feel for the angles and when things will and won't work. That said, I don't have to consider sea state into my calculations...
Matt Butler
1346 'Maud'

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »

Neil,

When running dead downwind (or nearly) dump your rig tension/forestay.  If necessary grab a shroud and give it a tug to ensure that its freed off.  The effect of this is to a allow your boom to square off further.  You'll probably notice that you've got less main sheet to play with!

Next ease your kicker. How much depends on the day and ave conditions etc.  This again allows the top of the sail to square off a bit more.

I like to hold on to the "parts" of the main sheet - not to pump or anything like that I hasten to add- but to give me a feel for "pressure".  This allows you to know when to go deeper when pressure is on and when to come up a bit when it eases.

For goodness sake remember to pull the rig back up etc. before any gybes!  I won't be responsible for the consequences if you don't.

Have fun....
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

NeilB

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 09:17:03 AM »

Hi,
thanks for the rig tension tip, always a bit wary of letting right off when there is a  bit of swell rolling in to the sound, or indeed unless it's very light, I guess I just need to man up and give it a go. 
Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up