Phantom Class Forum

• May 15, 2024, 09:56:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grafham Grand Prix  (Read 4130 times)

Andy G

Grafham Grand Prix
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »

Anyone planning on attending the Grafham Grand Prix onthe 30th December 2007. Full details are on the Grafham Water Sailing Club Website, although the last date for receipt of entries is 28th December 2007.

Andy

old fart 1296

Re: Grafham Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »

going to give it a go  :) should blow the cobwebs away.

chris 1296

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »

I hope to be there too!
Simon
1376- :-)

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »

ME too ;)
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Big + Lardy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »

Many congrats to all Phantom sailors who competed at the Grafham Grand Prix on 30th Dec.

Didn't we do well......

Regards

B & L
Big + Lardy

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »

Nice Phantom Conditions, circa 3-5 knots.
Race 1.
John (Titch) mixed it with the Lasers on the start and was rewarded to get away well with Brett. At the first mark Brett,Titch, a Laser and Andy G had done well, while Simon was paying for a conservative start on the Black Flag and was back with 2 Rooster 8.1's. Titch sailed away to a comfortable win, while Simon worked through to 2nd ahead of Brett, Ian Morgan in the Rooster preventing Andy G from completing a Phantom clean sweep on handicap of the top 4.
Race 2.
Start was much more even with Simon and John getting away well followed by Brett,Andy fell victim to the blackflag. Simon stayed ahead keeping a close eye on Titch, and the wind dropped off to almost nothing on the last lap. Simon, Titch and Brett again led the fleet home.
On Handicap the fleet was shaken up by the Challengers who finished a lap earlier, benefitting from avoiding the drifting finishing half lap, and claiming a handicap win. This also meant that some boats got between Simon in 4th and Titch in 8th giving overall victory to Simon ahead of John and the first Challenger and defending winner in 3rd,Brett in 4th. Unlucky for Titch as he would have won the tie-breaker in a straight fight between the Phantoms on total elapsed time !!
Simon

Andy G

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »

Well done to the fast guys on the results.

I was really annoyed with myself on picking up the black flag, but thoroughly enjoyed the scrap in both races with the two Lasers anyhow. On working out the results without a disqualification, I reckoned that I would have been 7th overall.

Looking forward to seeing you all out on the circuit soon.

Andy

Russell

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:10:24 AM »

I was down at Roosters on Wednesday, Steve C was having a good old moan about the Phantom handicap, I got the impression he didn't like being thrashed in his 8.1 :-)

Russell

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

Excellent - thanks for that Russ - it has made my day !

He should get a real boat !
Simon

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »

In race 1 the Phantom beat the Rooster 8.1 by over 4 Mins ;)
In race 2 the Phantom beat the Rooster 8.1 by over 3 Mins :D

The Rooster 8.1 is 1051, the Phantom is 1043, if we were to reduce our handicap by the average of 3.5 Mins then the score would be 1 all and we would be sailing off less than 1000 or perhaps the 8.1 should move back to 1078 like the Standard Laser ;D?

I suspect we will get cut again by the RYA this year, lest hope they do the same to the Merlin Rockets :-[
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

jeffers1974

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »

Steve C should not moan too much about the Rooster 8.1 PY, he did set it after all! Perhaps he should issue a new recommnded number....

Have been racing against Phantoms at Hunts with them going off 1033 and me going off 1051. All seems pretty even, the Phants have the edge when the wind drops right off, it comes back to me when the wind gets up a little bit.

Horses for courses!

Steve C is a good sailor though, he has mastered pretty much every class he has gone in to.

Just my 2p....

Paul
Rooster 8.1 227

(oh I am praying for another RYA drop, nothing too big though for you guys)
Pages: [1]   Go Up