Phantom Class Forum

• May 15, 2024, 02:06:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Racing  (Read 6300 times)

Big + Lardy

Winter Racing
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »

All

Northampton sailing club will welcome Phantom sailors for for a winter series to be held on the second Sunday of each month between November & March.

2 handicap races will be held each Sunday at 12:00 & around 14:00 (or as soon as possible after completion of the first race)

Dates are:

Sunday 11th Nov
Sunday 9th Dec
Sunday 13th Jan
Sunday 10th Feb
Sunday 9th March

Phantom results will be pulled from the overall results i.e.1st Phantom will be awarded 1 point the 2nd 2 points etc.

If 10 races are sailed then 5 races will count, else 50% of the number of races will count round up.

Visitors are welcome to join Northampton SC for the entire period for small fee (tbc).

Northampton runs xmas events @ 12:00 on boxing day & new years day plus the Steve Nicholson memorial at the end of Jan 08.

Northampton SC has a fleet of 6 phantoms and would welcome visitors for further research into the handicap of Phantoms.

More details from Will Gulliver on 07905 166999

Big + Lardy

SChilds

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter Racing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »

I hope to be there this Sunday as long as there is some breeze.
Simon
1376- :-)

bertie bassett

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

Big&Lardy

do you know how much? I'm quite tempted for a winter tune up..

Big + Lardy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi all

Either £6 per day as a temp member.

Or

£50 For the entire winter, including boat storage and entry into all Northamptom SC races including bank holidays etc.
Big + Lardy

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
Re: Winter Racing @ Northampton
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »

To clrify.....

If you join for the winter then you can sail every day if you like,including midweek, but racing is on Sundays, 12noon and 1400 or if very cold Back to back.

For the Icicle Series (Jan & Feb) we plan to do a Persuit race first followed by a Handicap race, this way if its back to back the waiting time will be limited.

The good news is I have an interested party in my RS400 and if it sells the return of the PhantomTitch will be close behind ;D

and at my fighting weight of 15 1/2 stone I hope its windy, although I still need to grow a bit taller ???
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Big + Lardy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »

Hi all

The good news is the wind is forcast for Sunday 11th Nov is:

9:00  Force 5
12:00 Force 4
15:00 Force 3

Cheers

Will
Big + Lardy

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

Very pleasant day, Childs, Gulliver and Couch turned out - Mr Beloe hoping to do the next one.

Lets have a few more next time!
Simon
1376- :-)

Big + Lardy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:29:56 AM »

Northampton SC Winter Series Weekend 1 report.

Race 1

The forcast wind blew itself out through the night & race one started in a force 2. Simon lead around the first mark, but was passed by Couch on the first reach. The wind swang producing a one sided beat with few passing opertunities until the last run when a gybing battle commenced between Will & Simon, with Will getting the inside berth at the leeward mark.
Final results 1st Couch 2nd Gulliver 3rd Childs.

Race 2

Will lead around the first mark in race 2 in a force 1-2 followed by Andy & Simon. Andy took the lead on the 2nd beat however was passed again by Will towards the top of the beat. On the long run back to the startline Andy sailed low & got his nose in front and was not troubled again.

Final results 1st Couch 2nd Gulliver 3rd Childs.

With plenty more competitors due on 9th December, Northampton SC welcomes all comers for the 2nd of the five events.

For more details contact Will Gulliver on 07905 166999 or turn up for a 12:00 start

Big + Lardy

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:42:12 PM »

Hi,

Blowing old boots at Maylandsea where Paul Neve and I have roosted for their winter series.  I'm afraid Alton looks a tad too far for us to travel.  A certain Merlin sailor loves to see us Phantoms arrive at this time of year and again it's great to promote the boat.  "Are you sure this is a Phantom?" was said by one Laser sailor that remembered a trip out in a borrowed conventional Phantom years ago.
Nobody will call us light wind sailors either after blasting around in 30 knots.  For those that say the rear toestrap is unnecessary I can confirm that a force seven soon has you hooked in and praying offwind.

Daft idea from me this winter.

Virtual winter series.

As we are all yachting at different events, how about a scoring system over an agreed number of winter series races, say the first five or similar.  You score the number of entrants less your place. So, if you come second in a fleet of 10 you score 8 points.  Highest score wins.

Okay, I'll go and get my coat now....

Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Russell

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:59:51 AM »

Well just to jump on the bandwagon - we had 5 Phantoms in the handicap fleet at Bowmmor this weekend, cracking wind in the morning, moderating later.

C'mon Henry and Gavin, come down and join us before impending family events take precedence!

Russell

The Cat

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:57:03 AM »

RightO

Whats the score

Start times, Moneys etc?

Russell

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »

Hi Cat

First start is 11:30, we go 3 mins later.  (This is good cos it means you don't have to memorise the course)
Second start is 1:45

You can have 3 free days as taster, then some money will be required, not sure how much exactly, but I believe winter membership which runs through to the end of March is £60, but I would have to confirm.

Cheers

Russell

Windy Miller

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »

So as not to be left out.

5 Phantoms at Alton Sunday. First race started in the force 5 that had been forecast at Northampton  ??? Tim Travis 1st, Rod Thorpe 2nd, myself 3rd other 2 retired.

2nd race 5 Phantoms took to the water wind had abated to force 4. Same placings as the morning however the other 2 were. New Phantom owner (welcome Ian Clarke) and a potential Phantom owner borrowing a boat (Ian Pavey).

We have also had a number of others show interest in the class. We are proposing holding a "have a sail in a Phantom day" I am sure others have done this before has this proved worthwhile ? ???

Windy

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »

Northampton will be plus 1 ;D at least, I will be there now I am not Phantomless anymore..... ;)
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Big + Lardy

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »

Anybody up for a race this Sunday @ Northampton..?

Please Remember next Big Phantom race day is on Sunday 9th Dec.

Also on the same evening is the Northampton Xmas dinner, your first chance for roast turkey...With a mystery Santa supported ably by his buxom assistant & a slay pulled by a team of huskies (well ok dogs)
Big + Lardy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up