Phantom Class Forum

• May 15, 2024, 04:54:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Eastern Series  (Read 15151 times)

Chains

• http://www.rbsc.org.uk
Re: Eastern Series
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »

I don't want to play with him anymore!

Spanked on the water and now on the forum!

Daren

ps How is the Albacore and isn't John talking about a new Phantom
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:38:02 PM by Chains »
1349 Jade

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 09:30:46 PM »

The series should be open to all, no elitism (or the opposite, whatever that may be!!).  We would love to see Will at Creeksea and I'm sure many other clubs would appreciate visitors whatever their abilities etc.

At Creeksea I am trying to promote the idea of Gold and Silver fleets; seems to work in other classes.

In the meantime I'll try and establish the relevant dates for existing Opens as per previous post etc.

Chris.
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Big + Lardy

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »

Chris

I would like to experiment with the idea of classic fleets of Phantoms with sail numbers before 1100 i.e. before Epoxy boats. the idea has worked well with Merlin rockets, Fireballs and Flying 15's & Solo's. For information all of these allegially development classes reached a point a few years ago where an epoxy boat was built, this boat was faster than anything built before, and hereafter all development has stopped (is this sounding familliar) All of these classes benifit from good second hand markets (of the epoxy boats) & long competitive lives. The only way the pre epoxy boats can get a race is in a classic fleet either starting alongside the epoxy boats or sometimes a few minutes behind the epoxy fleet. Some like the fireball recommend different handicaps for modern and classic boats ( for handicap racing).
The other idea which needs expansion is the idea of prizes in age categories (we do this at the nationals, seldom elsewhere) It quite likely than one competitor aged between 50-60 will be in a similar position in the fleet as another and may have similar difficulties when the wind rises above 20 mph.

Comments welcome.

B&L
Big + Lardy

Doug

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »

A pre 1100 group sounds like a very good idea to me!! ;D I might stand slightly more chance then!

Doug 1074
Doug Conway

Jeremy

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »

Is this Denver Place very narrow?
 if so, is it what you might call a river?
Would you require a degree of skill to sail on it ?
 Well my tacking is crap so Im coming!
Andrew better be patient!!!!
regards Rod

Denver Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »

Hi Rod, Yes Denver S.C. is on a river, and yes it's quite narrow as far as a Phantom is concerned, you will get plenty of tacking practice of that you can be sure. As for skill you need no more than that needed to sail any where else. With regards to the training session on Saturday, dont worry, the best thing to do is compile a list of areas that you want Andrew and the other top helms to give you help on, and then they can oblige, you will find this invaluable for skill building, my list is as long as my arm. Look forward to seeing you there. Regards Dave ;)

Barrie

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:13 PM »

Chris,

Did you receive my pm regarding Haversham being in the Eastern Series? I suspect not as I haven't heard from you but our answer was yes.  :)

As we are around five miles east of Northampton I guess we qualify. ???

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »

Barrie,

Yes, got your message thanks.  We are agreed that Haversham is an Eastern Event.  My daughter sails a Topper and I know that the Assoc. and RYA regard the club as being in the East Region.

I am finalising the list of events and further details will follow shortly to include events, scoring and prizes.  I'll try and add contact details/web addresses where known.

In the meantime it all starts with Denver on 10th/11th (Saturday is training day).  I'll be there to race on Sunday having dropped my boat off on Saturday.

Next is Haversham on Saturday 31st.  (Creeksea Phantom boys will be having a pre-season "Gentlemens Evening" that evening in a local (to Burnham-on-Crouch) hostelry, so that's going to be a mega Phantom Weekend)!

Hunts SC folows on Sat 14th (could someone rom Hunts please make contact?).

We then have a bit of a hole in the calendar till Stone on 7th/8th July followed by Creeksea on 14/15th.

By the way, this is not just for sailors at Eastern Clubs, all visitors are welcome and qualify.  All the events so far are existing class events and qualify for the Class Travellers Trophy and in on case (?) the Super Series.

I'll collate and post the results on Sailwave if each club rep lets me have a full set of results for their open.

More to follow...

Chris.

PS  Will, we'd be delighted to see you at Creeksea....

Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »

Hi Chris,

can you add me to the list. Picked up my boat yesterday and will definitely be taking part in the Eastern Series. I hope to be at Denver in a fortnight.

As mentioned in a previous post we have a regatta at Southwold on the Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend (27/28 May) that would welcome any visiting Phantoms.

Regards,

Jez
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »

Booldozer,

Can you let me know when the Hickling Open Event is that we all gatecrashed last year?

Darren,

Is your Open Singlehander event on he 24th June a better one to go for?  The 28th Oct. open is late in the season and we've a gap in June.

Chris.
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Chains

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 08:55:34 AM »

Chris

I would suggest the Oct event at Rollesby as this has been pencilled in as a dedicated Phantom open by the club, rather than a free for all singlehander event (the June one).

By supporting the October event we increase the chance of making this a proper fixture (subject to support), we don't necessarily run off with the June trophy (so everyone moans about the phantom handicap_, and we encourage our local team norfolk members to join us for the winter season in the Rollesby winter boot camp.

Have emailed Chris S for confirmation of Gt Y & G event.

Daren (Chains 1183)
1349 Jade

Chris

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

Chains,
we're going to run off with that trophy anyway!! - I've emailed you seperately but I reckon June is better for an open plus the October meeting is back to back with Hickling?  I think either event would work but Hickling may be a good series closer as there could be a Sat night social to discuss how we could done so much better if only.....

Chains

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »

Have read Chris's note above.

Suggestion would appear to be Rollesby Eastern Traveller in June, rather than Oct, and take the Hickling two day option in Oct to drown sorrows etc.

Seems like a plan

Daren (Chains 1183)

ps

Chris R - are you at the dinghy show on Saturday?

Chris S - your email is playing up again as I am afraid that I haven't received your "private" email
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:02:41 PM by Chains »
1349 Jade

Clive

• Administrator
    • Online Chandlery and Boat Bits
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »

Looks like a popular event as the Jenyns Arms is fully booked. Any other places to stay within staggering distance from the club?? or what about camping??

Clive
Carbon Clive

Windy Miller

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:24 PM »

Dear Clive

http://www.crosskeys.info
I have booked into this one. I believe it is about 2 miles or so from the club. If this is of any help.

Windy Miller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up