Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 07:57:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 Championships - RaceCourse Configuration  (Read 4491 times)

OultonBen

2011 Championships - RaceCourse Configuration
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »

I seem to remember that at Stone-2010 we sailed Sausages first, then Triangles.

The S.I. 10.1 for Lyme implies triangles first.
Quote:-
"10 Course Configuration & Racing Area
10.1 Racing will take place on triangle - windward/leeward courses as defined in the sailing instructions.
" ... unquote.

I subscribe to the notion that Sausage-first is a better option since after a possible mishap up the first beat, it provides earliest tactical overtaking opportunity, rather than the "follow-me-leader" long reach of a triangle, which stretches the fleet and reduces that eventual downwind opportunity.
My Head Hurts !

'One-Pint'

Re: 2011 Championships - RaceCourse Configuration
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »

..think you'll find its curry first  :D
4 Ply

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »

My view is that "sausages first" are a recipe for disaster at the leeward mark and result in an impenetrable stream of running boats for those approachng the windward mark - even if a spacer is used.
I like to get my first beat right (if I can) and I think you should be rewarded for that....Stone was pretty frustrating as the fleet compressed again and rafted at the leeward mark.
That's my 2p worth...

Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Little Monster

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »

I don't really have an opinion as to which is best but a way of helping congestion at the bottom of the course is to make it a gate and give an option of which mark to go round

Cheers

Ian

John Torrance

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »

Just do triangles - reaches are much more fun!

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »

Ben, just read this in the Y&Y Shoreham Open report...

"The beats were very shifty and there was lots of MotoGP style place changing, but as the race officer had innovatively used a triangle/sausage/sausage/triangle format, initially to facilitate quick turnaround of races, the fleet didn’t really separate, so there was the added benefit of close tactical and exciting racing, from the front of the fleet to the back.

It's the "fleet didn't really separate" bit that perhaps ought to worry us (or please us) depending on your take on it I guess,,,
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

maxibuddah

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Do D-courses (or trapezoidal if thats what they are called) then you get 2 reaches and a run on every lap and if there is little wind you at least get a different leg of the course in each lap, rather than persisting with a second lap to get in the run or reaches (depending on which is the first) when it is really futile.
Lee-on-Solent did this and the course were fine, though of course you need to take the tide into careful consideration in setting the reaches correctly otherwise everything gets a bit too broad. You can also easily finish after the leeward mark too so that the races can be turned around fast
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

jamesd20

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »

Do D-courses (or trapezoidal if thats what they are called) then you get 2 reaches and a run on every lap and if there is little wind you at least get a different leg of the course in each lap, rather than persisting with a second lap to get in the run or reaches (depending on which is the first) when it is really futile.
Lee-on-Solent did this and the course were fine, though of course you need to take the tide into careful consideration in setting the reaches correctly otherwise everything gets a bit too broad. You can also easily finish after the leeward mark too so that the races can be turned around fast

It seemed to be OK at the inlands, but then again there wasn't much wind to test it properly!

They are more technical to set for the OD though...

Big + Lardy

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »

Traditionally we sail the run first as it does give oppertunity's to overtake, reaches only spread the fleet out, many classes have take the runs out completley.

Regards

Will
Big + Lardy

xphantomphixer

• Spinnaker SC
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »

After Stone there was a suggestion that reaches first would be better.  Light winds and strong tides lead to some unpleasant and un-holy rafting at the leeward marks.  I accept that sausage first is best for the top dogs - but it was a nightmare in the cheap seats!

Still, Lyme should be very different - loads of wind and sensible tides.

Phil
Between Boats.... :( 
Spinnaker SC

Coastbuster

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »

Personally I really like the sound of the gate at the leeward mark.

I appreciate it is harder for the race team but the benefits are obvious.  I still remember getting chewed out by a member last year which was dissapointing and  to my surprise re the raft and I was not aware of it at the time.

The result of this caused situations that should be avoided at all costs and dampened many peoples event which was a real shame for a fantastic bunch of people.

I am not aware of how this could be used with the use of triangles though.  Anyone know?

Simon

Little Monster

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »

Simon
For the triangle you would need to use the right hand mark (looking downwind) for a port rounding as per normal and only use the gate on the sausage.
If we use a gate (I hope so) it would be worth including something at the briefing, or on here before, just to highlight that boats on port going to the right hand mark have rights over starboard boats.  It will save a lot of shouting....
Cheers

Ian

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »

If you want to do a split leeward buoy then you might as well just do a windward leeward course.

Really not exciting but very tactical/ technical.

The problem with courses with reaches in marginal winds is the lightweights just sail off in the distance, lighter wind doesn't seem to make as much difference when running, in my limited exerience of course  :)

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »

The problem with courses with reaches in marginal winds is the lightweights just sail off in the distance..... :)

but some of us like that big Phil - nothing personal!!
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"
Pages: [1]   Go Up