Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 06:41:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number of races at Nationals  (Read 2196 times)

gordon Kingston

Number of races at Nationals
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »

Hi All
Just noticed the number of races per day, Blimey I think there trying to kill me.
I would have preferred an extra day rather than adding more races into the existing days as it will probably mean making  each race shorter.
what about a prize for people sticking to the old format of 2, 3,2.
Feeling very old (I remember one race per day Nationals in Ospreys, 505 etc)
Regards
Gordon

NeilB

Re: Number of races at Nationals
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »

I guess it'll depend a lot on the conditions, 4 races in a day will be a challenge if it turns out like Shoreham was.  But OK if a nice 10 -12 knots.
I guess the RO will have the flexibility to massage the schedule a bit based on the forecast.

Neil

gordon Kingston

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »

Hi Neil
I must admit in my head it was 3 Friday and 3 Sunday as well.
Don't know where I got that from.
Regards
Gordon

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »

Its 2 Friday, UP TO 4 on Saturday and 2 on sunday.

As discussed at last years AGM due to the cracking conditions on the Saturday and early finish (all ashore and in the bar by 230pm) due to a good RO we could have got a 4th race in.

The extra one isn't on Friday, the reason being some people might not make the Friday, so thats the two discards.

Its not on the Sunday as it delays getting away from the venue (bearing in mind after racing 'we' still have to sort out the prize giving)

Its penciled in for the Saturday, but is totally weather and time permitting - no one has anywhere else to go on Saturday so finish time isn't as critical and with 35-40 minute races it can be done without spending 12 hours on the water. The shorter more race format also means if you balls up one start you aren't following everyone around for an hour and a half in a procession, more races more chance to do better (or worse as the case may be)

BUT if it doesn't get run on Saturday it won't get carried over to Sunday. The only reason there would be more than two races on Sunday would be to make the minimum number of races to make it a Nationals

*edited to add*

Its also an experiment, if it turns out a crap idea we can try something different or go back to the same routine next year
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:09:14 AM by Phil_1193 »

OultonBen

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »

.... reason there would be more than two races on Sunday would be to make the minimum number of races to make it a Nationals
Why have a minimum number larger than 1 ?
Yes, that would be peculiar, but it would still allow for the event to be valid.  Many Classes these days simply state '1' as minimum.  There's been peculiarities where a Class has re-run a 'part-two' of their Nationals over a new set of dates, having lost days, just to get a large minimum number of races completed.
My Head Hurts !
Pages: [1]   Go Up