Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 01:27:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "standard" settings?  (Read 2121 times)

essexbloke

"standard" settings?
« on: July 08, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »

This is going to sound daft but is there any for an older Vander without adj lowers?

I've read several setting articles so far but in realistic terms these all seem to be miles away from anything i've seen other sailors actually use!

I think the biggest thing confusing me is rig tension for light, medium and heavy winds. Some suggest medium to high, whilst others in practice have little?

Couple this with getting the outhaul set right for the some conditions - and the fact that i'm already in a heavier boat - i think this is why i'm watching other boats sail away over 2-3 laps...

So - is there such a thing as an average guide that can a least get me pointing in the same direction - literally! ;)
Ian Hill

MattHarris

Re: "standard" settings?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:30:24 PM »

There is a standard distance (and rig tension) from the mast head to the transom bar - although I can't remember what it is I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will be around soon to answer.

I know that as soon as the wind kicks in and i start loosening off the forestay to rake the rig back I end up with very little rig tension.  To the extent that in a F5 i've got none and the shrouds are more to stop the mast falling over rather than holding it in a rigid position.

One thing I am certain of is that the settings are only a starting point and I hardly ever sail with my boat set at them.  In light winds I'll let off the lowers completely, then for a very narrow wind (~3mph) range I'm at the settings before starting to rake the rig back and the associated drop in rig tension and rake.

Hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:33:16 PM by MattHarris »
1175 - Alice

essexbloke

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »

See - I know everyone is different, but this is the bit I think I'm struggling with! - that makes sense, but does the gen pop agree?  I start with a base tension setting before I hit the water (about 275lbs iirc), then which works for very light winds, and in theory, as the wind builds I slacken off until (in theory) I end up with a "floppy mast" for f5+ ?

The bit about letting off the lowers doesn't help for an older boat without adj ones - hence the post ;)
Ian Hill

MattHarris

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

I wouldn't worry to much about the lowers.  In the wind strengths that I let off the lowers (F0-F1) you could just take them off - this is what one of the guys at our club has done in the past.  With the rest I never really touch them, they're set so that they are under tension when the rig is in its default/starting position and after that they remain the same.  I'm sure the top guys maybe add tension to the lowers as they rake the rig (to support the lower mast) but for what I do keeping the boat flat and going the right way is more important.

If you're struggling for speed the biggest thing I can suggest is to keep the boat flat.  I know when I've lent my boat to others (or when one of our good local sailors moved into a phantom the boat) it is sailed constantly heeled.  The phantom feels really stable so it doesn't feel too bad but especially on a run as soon as one of the chines hits the water the speed reduction is quite significant.  To the extent that i sailed from behind another phantom, underneath them and popped out the other side in front of them just by having the boat flat.
1175 - Alice

essexbloke

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »

Right - so following some further reading of various bibles/setup guides and after racing last night in f1/2 at best (yawn yep it was dull!) we've making some headway with base settings.    got a 2nd place to boot in conditions which normally see me swallowed up by the pack & struggling.

Outhaul was reasonably tight out, with the sail kissing the boom.  Cunningham barely on  - just to hold the creases out, and just a little kicker - enough to pull the leech open. centreboard fully down. Rig tension was set at full.  Seemed to happily whispering around the pond, well in front of those pesky Solo's & National 12's!   

I think their might be hope for me yet!
Ian Hill

RHYC 1

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »

Its the ~UPVC modification  that has helped :)

Matthew 1432

essexbloke

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »

;)

Of course what we all really need now is some of the faster guys to not be so damm good so that us slower guys can watch what the feck they're doing to make em so damm fast in the 1st place.... ::)     
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:13:27 AM by essexbloke »
Ian Hill
Pages: [1]   Go Up