Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 07:47:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new olympik heavy weight class?  (Read 3180 times)

ork boy

new olympik heavy weight class?
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:13:08 PM »

so mens heavy weight is in ;D
but that does not mean it has to be a finn. ;)
selection in quingdao next may.

Doug

Re: new olympik heavy weight class?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »

care to elaborate rob?

Hi, btw, hope your well.  Need to catch up at Xmas.

Doug Conway

ork boy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »

for the 2012 games the sailing had to be cut from 10 fleets to 11. The recomendation by the isfa to the olympic commity was proposed over the week end (10/11/07). The catermeran got dropped. (met a couple of very unhappy cat sailors at the club on sunday).
This was  only the fleets that would be competed for and not the actual class specifically. There will be medals for mens single hander and mens heavy weight single hander. It has not been finalised that they will be the laser and finn respectivly.
Is the mens keel boat going to be the star? personally i hope not because i like the soling better and there terminal matchracing it had.
The final selections for the class does not happen till may and will be in china.
The question is.

Is the finn going to be the only boat tacken to china for trials?
Is there another heavy weight class that could be proposed in its place? (some one would have to take it to china for concideration)
by implication could that be a phantom? ???
(did you see what i did?) ;D

road trip anyone?

working hard doug?

Doug

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »

ooh that sounds very exciting!

would be well up for a road to china, so long as i can drive you car!

yeah i am, in till 6pm tonight:(

are you thinking about sailing again if you were at the club, or were you just working at jonti?

Doug Conway

The Cat

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »

The Phantom will never make the Olympics

Its fast, its fun, and everybody from real hotshots to beginers can sail it.  According to Y&Y the weight range is between 85kg to in excess of 105kg (thats a stroke of luck).   So that probably suits the avrage demographic.  It also just about affordable and could be built in large numbers.

ISAF's recent ruling proves they have not got a clue about what weekend dinghy sailors like.  British meddalist have also proved that they havnt got a clue either by railing against the Finn and stating "I argue that the one person dingy serves the same sailing community as the heavy, particularly as the keel boat also fits into the heavy category. Look at, currently, the class in question, either you get lighter and sail a Laser or sail a Star, simple. It doesn't serve a particular sector of the sailing community. Nor is it representative of the sport - the Laser is the worlds most popular sail boat, nearly all other single handers are a slightly smaller or larger derivative of this, (go on Phantom and OK sailors get your arms in the air) so the Laser represents this sector of the sport."

So we get a mention in the debate  but I think that was put in by the editor. 

Just goes to show that when people sail at the top end as a pro the end up with no idea of what the rest of us are up to.

The Cat

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:40:25 PM »

Bugger

My previous post made it seem as though i give a damn

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:30:41 PM »

I'd rather we said please don't consider the class at all.  Doesn't seem like a good idea in any way, shape or form.  Double the cost of the boat, bring in unlimited pumping, forget average Joe Blogs sailor etc. etc.
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Miniwebbuddah

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »

Stupid question. How does the sailing  get cut from 10 fleets to 11?

Jools

PS nice one Ork Boy - hows the car racing?

ork boy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »

getting there, slowly.
driving cars is so expensive.
got a week end job in a chandlery to pay for it and now do not have time to do any. crazy world.

has being an olympik fleet been bad for the lasers? i know they were a strong fleet anyway. i saw a new tiller for a laser the other day. all carbon. 500g. shaped lick the star ship enterprise. £160. I could not believe they allowed it. wheres the one design going?

Any i'm not really botherd ether, just wonder what people thorght. ( am i covering up my dissapointment)
Pages: [1]   Go Up