Phantom Class Forum

• May 21, 2024, 07:04:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 handicap  (Read 16412 times)

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
Re: 2011 handicap
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »

I have put your request down on the soon to be held next comittiee meeting agenda, will feedack afterwards..........

Regards titch :-*
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Solid Air

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »

Apologies for the long post, but this topic brings out my geek side.

The Phantom class seems to attract some negativity in terms of handicap. If you look at the results of the large, inland handicap events over the last few years you can see why, although I do think other sailors might remember we didn't do this deliberately.

There is a simple explanation for the handicap advantage, and it does not justify having two handicap numbers.

The most competitive Phantoms got a lot faster in a very short period a few years ago when the epoxies arrived. At that point the yardstick became based on unusual data - most club racing returns were for heavy boats, while the top sailors were sailing epoxies. For a short period, that meant a big difference between the pace of the fastest and the average boats, giving the top Phantoms a very advantageous handicap. So they won lots of events.

But there is an important point to be made - the difference in the Phantom compared almost any other class is not that older boats are slower, which is true for every class, it's that a big change happened very quickly and so gave an advantage to the (then) small number of epoxies. As more and more epoxies make club racing returns, the yardstick will inevitably move closer to the 'right' number.

I realise it is counter-intuitive to suggest to owners of older Phantoms that the handicap will get fairer as more epoxies are sold, as you will actually be at a greater disadvantage. But unfortunately the yardstick is not a measure of the absolute pace of the best boats, it is a measure of average pace RELATIVE relative to other classes. All established classes have a range of pace in their fleets at club level. Ever tried racing an older Enterprise or Laser? To make a case for splitting the handicap you would have to study the data for many fleets to establish whether the Phantom has a greater range of pace than others. In other words you would have to establish whether a 10-year-old Phantom was more disadvantaged than a 10-year-old Laser or Fireball. I don't know if that is the case or not - if anyone has reliable data on that then please share it.

On the wider point of the 'right' number - I haven't got specific evidence but subjectively I suggest the statistical advantage is close to working itself out. The more epoxies making returns, the closer the new boats are to the average pace. Once that is at a similar level to other classes (ie the standard deviation of the returns), and as the yardstick moves more fluidly to represent up to date data, we will have a reliable number. Or at least one that's as reliable as any other class. I believe the new RYA computerised system, excluding the trailing affect of the old system, would put us at about 1025.

Again, apologies for the long post, and I really do feel for the owners of older Phantoms, just as I do for the owners of older GP14s, but I do believe we need a consistent approach.

Solid Air

fat freddy

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

lets just hope that all dont think the same way as you  :)

seperate class suggested handicaps have worked in other classes and rejuvenated racing in the older boats . Flying fifteens , Merlin rockets are two I know that have recognised performance step changes in their classes and sure theres many more out there that have done similar. If the Gp's etc have similar problems surely they should sort it out if it exists ,rather than use a lack of others reaction to a problem as inspiration .

I seems a shame that you don't feel its worth nuturing the older spectrum of phantoms , when I suggest this may be an area for growth and ultimately for folks to move onto higher spec boats .

I bought my old woody as I always fancied a phantom , I race a high tech solo cat for main thrills , but got to the age when I thought bugger it get an old phantom too to stretch the ole gut muscles a bit and a bit of alternative fun also my weight is better suited to a phantom . seems a shame though that when I will occaisonaly race it will only be for "fun ", not much fun though when you dont have a look in  not much inspiration to move up.

If ole woodys get saddled with modern ratings , we may as well have a great big bonfire  :o

To make matters worse I sail on the sea (actually I love the sea ).

I am much enthused by the matter to be discussed further as Titch states and look forward to hearing outcome .

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:21:11 PM by fat freddy »
Phantom 933

Solid Air

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »

I am a big supporter of clubs picking handicaps as appropriate for their particular conditions and members. That could certainly include handicaps for older and newer boats in club racing if that works for them.

I think if the class association agrees separate numbers that is quite a different thing as it legitimises a split in the class.

My point with the stats geekery is simply that the Phantom is not unique in having a range of pace in the fleet, and the fact that our yardstick is dropping should not on its own justify separate numbers for older and newer boats.

It's a good debate to have, and it would be great to hear more views.

Solid Air

maxibuddah

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »

Legitimises a split in the class? Well surely that exists already in that the older boats can't compete to the lower py? All that happens is that those sailors get alienated and the old boats slowly die a death. Plenty of other classes support classic boats and a higher py why shouldn't we?
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

AWILDE

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »

At the Blithfield Barrel they sailed the older boats on 1047 and newer on 1020.  If it wasnt for the Merlin Rocket being very very wrong I would think thats about right perhaps 1025.

At this PY we will not be able to compete against trapeze boats (Fireballs and 505's) in stronger winds though (but I dont think we can now at PY1035).

jwlbrace

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »

hi ya Phantom sailors, I clicked on a Y&Y link and ended up here, I noticed you liked the Grumpf Cartoon... there's a serious message in there somewhere.

Anyway I thought I'd chirp in with a bit experience on trying to assist a class association manage a class with 2 handicaps... to put it simply, it sucks... no seriously sucks.  And the reason is quite simple- 80% of clubs who claim to use PY do not submit their data, and further compounding the problem with dual handicaps for different delineations of the same class, well for some its a conceptual nightmare, for others they simply won't care what you have to say about which boat falls in to what category... good luck.

The RS100 was designed with 2 recommended numbers from RS.  It was done with the best of intentions and down the line, if numbers justify I reckon the class will have two starts at major events.  But that's a long way off yet...

In the grim and murky backwaters of weekend sailing, our results (what there are of them anyway) were primarily submitted as just the RS100- despite a joint statement from both RS and the RYA asking for the results to be broken down and both the online and offline systems hosting fields for both our rig configurations.

Even with all the conjecture and positive dialogue with the class, the RYA still published a single EN based on only 3 results... they state very clearly the PY system is for clubs, not classes; and as the clubs had only 'requested' a single PY through their returns, despite a field for both, only a single PY was published.

I would imagine you will face the same problems if you end securing two PYs; compounded by a lot of BS regarding your handicap already.  What little returns you get will be for 'the Phantom' not the Phantom and the Classic Phantom as you would hope for.  What may seem simple, logical and perfectly sound if it were a day job, really doesn't transpire on the Annual Return with the amateur resources that effectively control the PY returns.

The solution is bi-fold- firstly encouraging your clubs to return your results ensures the average is a true average.  You can run some analysis by consulting the RYA, but my guess would be you actually have a disproportionate amount of Epoxy returns- which in theory, totally blows the bandit accusation out the water.  If a few more of the older, slower boats actually featured in your returns it may well be a different story and you'd see the handicap go up, not down!

Secondly, encourage clubs to locally adjust as the system intends- I understand Pitsford has a system for this already... time for a case study and sharing amongst other clubs and classes!!!

Hope this gives you a little insight in to trying to run multiple PYs, it ain't a dig or bitch; it's just some experience... in my experience, you cannot dictate anything, you are powerless to the will of the clubs and the data they submit- which as a rule of thumb, is about 20% of actual races, mainly from the larger clubs and inland venues... again, does this support you lot being true bandits... no quite the contrary when you stop and think about it.

I'm not sure what will happen in April when the 2011 list is released, but I'm guessing the RS100 will go to one Experimental Number.  Whether or not this is good or bad or indifferent is not a topic for here; but it is not what the manufacturer intended, nor what some of the punters bought into... which will no doubt cause some grief and moaning... the sort of shit no class needs.

Be very careful about wanting to go to dual numbers.  It could well be a poisoned chalice.

Happy sailing and hope to say hi at the Stevie Nicks,

Jimbo - ex Phantom for 3 months but f*** me it hurt too much  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:51:48 PM by maxibuddah »

jeffers1974

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »

James,

I am not sure that you have got the right end of the stick here.

What they are asking for is for the class to recommend a number that might be suitable for the non-epoxy boats not for the RYA to publish one.

At Hunts we have done this and, for the boats we have there, it has worked quite well.

Personally I would like to see the Phantom drop a few more points on the number we run it against but I don;t sail a Phantom so that is to be expected!

At the time of writing we are using 1030 for an Epoxy boat and 1043 for the 'Classic' boat. The Classic boat is decided upon by the club with the general spec being a non-epoxy hull with a tin mast.

Cheers,

Paul

Rob

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »

Hey y'all. Interesting discussion regarding handicapping. As I get closer to having a new wood boat, which will probably be equipped with an aluminum stick and dacron sail, I'm wondering how I can establish a PY number for my boat. One of the biggest questions is how to translate your PY into the one we use here in the states. I thought they would be the same, but evidently they are different. Does anyone know of a formula to convert the two?

calum

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »

Thinking of taking my epoxy phantom to Canada, presume they share the same system as the US

Rob

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »

I ran a little comparison of numbers for several classes, and compared their UK vs US handicap. I took the Albacore, Laser, Finn, Fireball and 505. All of the US numbers seem to be the UK number x 0.087, approximately.

jamesd20

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »

Neil, one thing that should be taken out of the equation is the tin rig/carbon rig factor. A boat is not slower because it has a tin rig. I used a tin rig on an epoxy boat and still finished 9th at the nationals a few years back. It is primarily the hull that causes the problem. They can be split as follows -

If this is the case why do we bother with Carbon rigs? They are more expensive & not quicker? For ease of rigging/derigging?

I would say they are quicker because the Masts are lighter & the booms stiffer. Just because someone get a good placing in a race/event with an aly rig doesn't mean they aren't slower - you may have come 5th with a Carbon rig for all we know?

maxibuddah

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

the following year with carbon I came 10th, so one place lower. Anyway that is missing the point. What I was trying to say is that the carbon does not make the difference that everyone automatically assumes. Sure the gust response helps and there is less weight swinging about up top which makes gybing easier, but there wasn't the performance difference I was expecting when I changed to carbon
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

jamesd20

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »

Were there particular conditions where you felt the aly mast had an advantage?

I just think if there is no performance difference why do we bother?

And also I have bought a 2nd hand one from P&B to replace my Aly one :'(

OultonBen

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »

I reckon the Boom makes the greatest single step-change.
The stability provided by a stiff carbon boom, makes sail-setting so much more positive, compared to bendy old aluminium ones.
Also a nice 'round' boom doesn't hurt the head so much as those hard angles of aluminium.
That said, the carbon mast weight is just sooo mind-blowing! My carbon mast is much lighter than even Veronica's Streaker mast, despite being considerably taller than hers. Its such a 'fun' feeling to be able to pick up the carbon mast near the mast-head, with one hand, when de-trailering.

Ben
My Head Hurts !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up