Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 08:01:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Draycote / Sailjuice  (Read 3051 times)

AWILDE

Draycote / Sailjuice
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »

In case any of you are wondering what happened to me at Draycote.  I can confirm I was sailed out of the event by the Fireball sailor Sam Mettam and crew in race one.  His tactic was to sail me out of each race to guarentee a top 3 finish in sailjuice (Given the light winds and not fireball weather).  Although I spent 30mins trying to get out of being matched raced, I only made it to the windward mark and was miles behind at that point.  It was impossible with him being in a faster boat to get away.  A number of collisions occured, most of them my fault so decided to retire from the event.  Well done to other Phantom sailors who finished well in the event!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:18:35 PM by AWILDE »

maxibuddah

Re: Draycote / Sailjuice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

that's very unfortunate Andy, sorry to hear that. You certainly have my sympathy and well done for what you did manage to achieve.

I suppose he's allowed to do but not really in the spirit of the rules. Especially with all the hoo-ha last year with match racing you'd have thought that it wouldn't happen again. I don't think I could do that to another boat in a different class, would just have to accept that it ain't the conditions for my class, and not ruin someone else's weekend. Bet he would have moaned to the race office he you had done to him
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Big + Lardy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:23:08 PM »

Andy

So where were your wingmen to stop the fireball picking on you, Happened to me at the Albacore worlds, its never a nice feeling..

Better luck next year

Will
Big + Lardy

Olly

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

I was tempted to come over but thought I may do more harm than good plus I also thought that he was just trying to hold him up a little bit and that was it.
More interestingly is the fight that myself and Simon Hawkes found ourselves in whilst discussing the matter the next morning. It seems that the matter did cause some chat around the club on sat afternoon sun morning.
Anyway I still think it wrong
Olly Hopkins

maxibuddah

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

you were fighting each other? Hawkes has form for this at our club, sitting on top of a laser for the duration, then felt guilty as hell and apologised as much as he could, so I'm sure he wouldn't do it again, very nice chap, must have been defending his rabbit friend

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »

Fireball   Sam Mettam   Richard Anderton   15065   Royal Naval Sailing Association

I presume if you had managed to get clear they'd have torpedoed you or called in air support!

Doesn't really seem in the spirit of the event or the sport though really. Are the prizes really that good?
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

maxibuddah

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

Fireball   Sam Mettam   Richard Anderton   15065   Royal Naval Sailing Association

I presume if you had managed to get clear they'd have torpedoed you or called in air support!

Doesn't really seem in the spirit of the event or the sport though really. Are the prizes really that good?

I doubt it Jez, that fireball represents the sum total of Her Majesties Royal Navy and they need it next week to bash the Argies

Chains

• http://www.rbsc.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »

Last year it was illegal sails, this year "unsportsmanlike" behaviour. Not sure if I would want the PR from this series.
1349 Jade

gordon Kingston

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

Hi Andy
It does not seem to be in the spirit of fair sailing to use a faster boat to sail you down the tubes.
I wonder how a rule 69 protest would go down.
Were you flying an Argentine flag?
Boat on Boat in equal boats is different.
Should have got Simon to have him booked on the way home in his car.
Regards
Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up