Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 06:46:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody Mary - times  (Read 8781 times)

AWILDE

Re: Bloody Mary - times
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »

12 Phantoms are entered looks good forecast 10 degrees and 15+knots.  Not done this event before see we are start 32 does this mean we start 32 mins after the start? 

On the handicap front think its adjusted a bit to much as Flying 15 is now slower than us and a fairly good sailor beats me on the water at my club unless there are loads of reaches or a short beats.

OultonBen

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »

I reckon (but don't KNOW!) you're exactly correct: with a 32 start-number Ph start at 12:32. The NoR is singularly unhelpful, and I've been trying to ask what the rules are and what we're actually competing for?

Looks like Phantom has got 1019 as a handicap, with F15 at 1027; Blaze and EPS are similarly on 1027.
Sad-Old-Git here has now got a ".xls" of the start-numbers and what these equate to as new yardsticks.
The big movers seem to be (almost-) anything with "Laser" in the name ..... i.e over the Phantom, Laser-1 has been given 50 points additional advantage, Laser-Radial 52 and Laser-4.7 has a whopping 58.
On the other hand, there's some classes with substantially greater additional penalties than us e.g. Cherub, 49er, Int14, Musto and Vago (oh yes, that's from the Laser stable ?).

My Head Hurts !

gordon Kingston

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »

Hi All
Good luck to all going, i cant figure out how  sailjuice is going to work things out if each event has a different handicap.
If none of you can win good luck to the 505,s but if they win it twice in a row will people start moaning about there handicap?

Regards
Gordon

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »

Good luck to all attending, again a plea for results and report (or at a minimum a rough idea of what happened) so we can keep the Publicity train rolling! last week 4th placed (OultonBen) kindly penned the report.

Thanks in advance,

Jez

jeztaylor01@hotmail.com
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

OultonBen

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »

......, i cant figure out how  sailjuice is going to work things out if each event has a different handicap. ..... Regards Gordon

The SailJuice system simply takes an event's results-order and then ranks that as a proportion of whatever becomes the LARGEST entry results; doesn't need yardsticks.
The Bloody Mary is a single race, so very simple to read-off results, but for the Grafham GP, with 4-different fleets, over 4-different courses, in order to get a single results-list, they did exactly the same thing as they will for the full series: (1st Phantom(Cick Grani) =1; 2nd F15 =1.31; 3rd Musto-Skiff =1.59; 4th Merlin =1.77; 5th Phantom(Simon Childs) =2.   Note how the largest-fleet scores remain unchanged integers).
Simple really (MeerKat smirk: "gscheek" ;)).
Ben
My Head Hurts !

OultonBen

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »

Departed home at 05:55 with double-trailer, and got as far as M25 junction=24/25, then STUCK for 2+ hours, before being invited to un-hitch, turn around and slowly drive back-the-wrong-way to Jn-25; they were even trying to turn the biggest of articulated pantechnicons around !
Arrived at Queen Mary, just in time to see the Phantoms start, but not in time to participate.
The M25-anticlockwise remained closed for at least 7 hours (we saw it on the way home) !
 :'(    :'(    Not only did we miss this event, wasted a day-out in the car, forked out £104 in petrol and entries, but also the rest of the 'wake-up' series now looks un-inviting  :'(    :'(

Anyway, Phantoms were clearly out-handicapped, so saved that additional embarrassment.
Well-done Simon Hawkes (34th), Nick Orman (38th) and Thom Tindall (59th) !

Ben
My Head Hurts !

AndyGregory

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »

RESULTS - 194 Finishers / 239 Entries

34th   1359   HAWKES   Simon   Wimbleball Lake SC
38th   1383   ORMAN   Nick           Castle Cove
59th   1337   TINDALL   Thomas   Yorkshire Dales Salling Club
62nd   1291   WILDE   Andrew   Carsington SC
67th   1210   GREGORY   Andrew   Stewartby Water Sports Club
87th   1256   INGRAM   Marcus   Up River YC
88th   1223   SIMS           Richard   Carsington SC
99th   1344   SULLIVAN   Ian           Stewartby Water SC
121st   1349   THORPE   Rod           Hanningfield Fly Fishing Club
DNS   1376   CHILDS   Simon   Hayling Island
DNS   1185   FALAT   Ben           Gt Yarmouth & Gorleston SC

OultonBen

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

I told him today I am going to whoooop him on Saturday!!!!!   He states he intends to pass me at 1300hrs precisely!
Hmmmm.  Wont put too much money on this I think. :-\ :D Cheers Simon.

Hmmm.... Simon =34th(Pha); Ragin Cick =37th(MR)   ..... so he didn't pass at 1300, and you Whoo-  ;D  :o  ;D -ooped him !    Well-Done !    Hehe!

Ben
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:19:05 PM by OultonBen »
My Head Hurts !

Coastbuster

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »

Hmmm.... Simon =34th(Pha); Ragin Cick =37th(MR)   ..... so he didn't pass at 1300, and you Whoo-  ;D  :o  ;D -ooped him !    Well-Done !    Hehe!

Ben

Much as it was nice hurling abusive banter at Nick for the latter part of the race I have to point out this was the first time he has sailed the MR.  His rigging technique was interesting to watch as the mast went up and down at least three times, and for some unknown reason he and his crew then pulled the boat aound the dinghy park on its trolley for over half an hour for no apparent reason.

slightly hollow then but a really good day out.  Had hoped for more time to chat with all the Phantomers but with so many people everyone seemed to dissappear.  Hope to see you all soon at the next events. :)

Captain Slow

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »

Well done yesterday Simon........

Sorry Ben you did not make it in time would have been nice to have you sailing  :(

Strangely enough the last BM I did in 2006 Nick C finished one place ahead of me again in an RS400 and this year again one place ahead.

Spooky!

Slow

'One-Pint'

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »

They really got the PY spot on then ::)!
4 Ply

Captain Slow

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

Indeed it was tricky to catch the lasers and a few finished just ahead of  Simon and I, the Merlins started passing us shortly after the windward mark on the first reach!

I am Captain Slow but Simon H is rather good and I think he sailed a good race with few mistakes if any, so not sure he could have gone alot faster than 34th although he is getting old.

Slow

'One-Pint'

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »

It would be interesting to know what the results would have been if they had used the published PY.  Why have it if its not used? It chaged by 9 points last year! wasn't that enough?
4 Ply

Little Monster

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »

Whilst the handicap was a bit aggressive the results are difficult  to read as we were caught in the middle of things really.

1.  The early starters had an extra 30 mins of breeze that was already dropping as we started giving them an added head start.
2.  The course suited the double handers in general with plenty of long kite legs
3.  The handicap movement meant that the lead merlins were through us just after the first leg, which was a fairly short beat

A lack of fitness (and ability..) also contributed to my position but in general thought that we were going to be plugging the tide before we launched.

All said and done it was a great day on the water, well run off it and one to do next year.

Regards

Ian

OultonBen

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »

I wrote up a .xls of apparent handicaps, using the Topper as baseline, and referring to the starting-numbers. MaxiBuddah has this now and may publish if possible, but its easy enough to do as a spreadsheet; it may appear online here (?).
Though Phantoms were penalised, this was not nearly as bad as some classes, though looking the other way, almost anything called "Laser-" got quite a substantial helping hand. I found it interesting to look at (sad old git here !) and try to understand what QM were trying to achieve. Clearly what does pay is to belong to a rarity class and pretend that you're a "3000-something-else"; you may just get away with the wrong yardstick, plus a benefit, and therefore finish in the top-3 !
Notwithstanding all else, the finishing order seems to have a goodly mix of spread in Classes.

If you want me to send you my spreadsheet directly, then give me a call (email, or PM).

Best regards,  Ben
My Head Hurts !
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up