Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 05:22:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anglesey Results 2013 - 7.5 knots average speed  (Read 1287 times)

ollieshaw

Anglesey Results 2013 - 7.5 knots average speed
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »

Average speed over 7.5 knots !!

The Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013 was a really good sail and the winning Phantom, Phil Worth from Delph SC, completed the 15 mile course in less than 2 hours. So allowing for zig-zags (especially in my case!!) that's an average speed over 7.5 knots!!

The Race Officer, Jez Entwistle (also a Phantom sailor) gave an excellent briefing  - one of the best I've heard - "fear of God"-type-of-speach - there's no turning back once you have started!! Maybe he knew the Phantoms would have a good sail. Quite proud that more than 10% of the handicap fleet were Phantoms!

A long run down to Puffin Sound, where we turned left at the lighthouse and headed for the Quarry on the cliff. Then head for the caravan site followed by the lifeboat station. Basically keep the Isle of Anglesey on your left and you won't go wrong!

The first four Phantoms were in a close bunch at the lighthouse where we luffed up to a one-sided beat / close reach, which then became a beam reach. The wind picked up half way round and we all enjoyed a two mile planning beam reach (Oh my legs hurt!!). Quite a change for the pond sailors! Apart from the dash for the finish line, I think I only did 2 tacks!

Thanks to Red Wharf Bay Sailing and Watersports Sailing Club who organised the event, the weather, the rescue boats, the event sponsors, the food and the transport back to the start!!

1st, 1382, Phil Worth, Delph SC
2nd, 1390, Richard Sims, Carsington SC
3rd, 1229, Steve Norris, Red Wharf Bay SC
4th, 1111, Ollie Shaw, Leigh and Lowton SC
5th, 1154, Dave Kelsall, Leigh and Lowton SC
Pages: [1]   Go Up