Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 10:20:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013  (Read 1639 times)

ollieshaw

Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »

Hi to all Phantom Sailors,

Round 6 of the Northern Travellers Series (sponsored by http://www.standardsplus.co.uk/ ) is on Sunday 4th August 2013 and is the Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race (AODR). This race is a show-piece event for dinghies with 120 boats all starting together in front of the crowds (and the Lord Mayor!) on Beaumaris promenade!

The AODR ( follow this link http://www.redwharfbaysc.co.uk/anglesey-offshore-race ) is an annual event and this year it is also part of our series, with the fleet results extracted. There is a beach brabecue at the finish. This event requires:
  • Pre-entry before 29 July 2013. I think this is by paper application, post and cheque - more info to follow.
  • An early start - the briefing is at 09.00 hrs.
  • Some mid-race supplies / refreshments (naturally!) Take lots of water.
  • Either a land crew to tow your road trailer to the finish, or to book a place on the transport back to the start (where you can pick up your road trailer!).
  • Slow driving - the local force strictly enforce the speed limits and wait in the most unexpected of places. The parking patrols are also very keen. Trust me on this one!
What can I say - it's a fabulous event! Sailing across Puffin Sound is memorable. I'm sure there is an appropriate nautical phrase for "choppy-wind-over-tide-by-the-lighthouse-what-am-I-doing-here" !! The Race Officer and the Commodore of the club are both keen Phantom sailors but sadly will not be racing, so we may receive "Phantom-advice" from the support boats!

So we need to build up the Phantom numbers and I would like to see 20 boats at this event. There are fabulous beaches, castles, walks, horse riding and mountains nearby, so you could make into a weekend in North Wales.

See you there.

Ollie.

eddiethomasgbr

Re: Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »

Can't make this one as its bass week.  :P
If you fall in and get wet, get up dry off and try again.
Ed Thomas

ollieshaw

Re: Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »

Dear Phantom Sailor,

The Anglesey Offshore Dinghy Race 2013 has a closing date of 29 July (Monday) for postal entries. There has been a problem with the RWBSC website, so race information and an entry form are available from myself. Please email me for them.

Pre-booking is essential for safety reasons, with all long distance races, so please try to help the organisers.

Currently the low number of entrants will definitely upset the series results – so grab yourself a good result from this event!

Best wishes from
Ollie Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up