Phantom Class Forum

• May 05, 2024, 03:49:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Eastern series events.  (Read 4512 times)

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
2018 Eastern series events.
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »

Hi all,

I'm busy planning next years events and wondered if there were any thoughts on which venues we should be considering?

Last year I tried to get a number of Saturday only events in order to make it easier for those with family commitments or club racing to consider but wondered whether full weekends were more popular?

With several new sailors joining the fleet a reversion to a training event early in the season was another idea.  Would this encourage new sailors to get out and about?

Several "old favourites" are being investigated and I have a couple of enquirys out at new venues - but I'd like some feedback on venues and format please.  At the moment I'm looking at eight events with four to count (excluding Area Champs and a Winter event).  There will again be a joint event with the Southern area at Island Barn in March.

I'll post some dates shortly to allow you all to plan your "campaign"....
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

stevepopple

Re: 2018 Eastern series events.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »

Chris

when/where do you think your  Winters might be ?

Steve

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »

Steve, we will use the Blackwater Icicle Race and extract our results.

The event alternates between Harlow Blackwater and Maylandsea Sailing club which are within close proximity to each other on Lawling Creek with racing out on the Blackwater around the Osea Island area.

The event is on 20th January and is a single race (all be it usually a long one!).  There's a video of the event on the class website I think.

Other confirmed Eastern dates:-

Island Barn 20th March (joint with Southern region).
Creeksea 16/17 June
RHYC 14/15 July (The Smugglers Trophy event)

The Association are trying to avoid clashes of events (impossible) and I am circulating a full list of events to other reps so we all know what's being planned.

I think we all know that you can't please all the people, all the time, but we do our best!
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Clive

• Administrator
    • Online Chandlery and Boat Bits
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »

Hi Chris,
If you do go for a few one day events, is it possible to make the venue a bit more central?  I know I am out on a limb, but a more central one day venue, might be better attended.

Clive
Carbon Clive

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »

Central where Clive?  My job is to organise events in the East region....

I enjoy and I are liaising to avoid clashes with the Southern region and Will is covering Midlands and Adam the North.

We have been invited to join the Ospreys at Sheppey Yacht club but Ivan's not keen.  My view was that this really is Southern region and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes - but I'd like to go there not least because we get on with the Ospreys when we sail with them at Burnham Week (hence the invite).  They were proposing several dates but 2/3rd June looked best to avoid clashes.  Opinions please!
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Clive

• Administrator
    • Online Chandlery and Boat Bits
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »

Sorry to clarify, I meant Central to the Eastern Area, so Essex sort of Area.
Carbon Clive

Coastbuster

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »

Awkward if you also sail an Osprey. Very welcoming Club though.

gordon Kingston

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »

Hi Chris
I am trying to organise an event for us southern chaps at Lee on Solent but avoiding Creaksea weekend so please don't add Sheppey as well in June.
Do you think its time to re-organise the areas, it seems daft that Minnis bay is East and Downs is South when they are about 15 miles apart?
Regards
Gordon

RHYC 1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »

I thought Minnis had been moved to the south ish and Chris  S was seeing if a few SE clubs could get together, this was a couple of years ago.  It may even have been Minnis, downs and Shoreham taking turns in hosting opens.

South of the M25 !!!! Thats nearly France for me :)

Matthew 1432

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »

To clarify - I think the Eastern Area is north of the Thames and comprises Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk. 

Matts right, years back we started going to Minnis because Clive was visiting us on the Eastern circuit and frankly I fancied sailing at Minnis.  There are plenty of clubs in the area and there may be enough active sailors to get a South East circuit justified - but it will be increasingly hard to avoid clashes with East, South and a new South East area.  Having said that I am firmly of the view that getting sailors to travel is good for the class. 

People are attracted to a class with open events that are near them and don't involve hours of motorway work.

Chris Shelton over to you for comment!
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

The Belgian

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:35:31 PM »

Hi All,
Been having a nightmare with sailwave and solved it now so updated series results sent to Clive for uploading. Struggled to add Nationals and apply discards...
I see talk of reorganising the region again. WELL, I was thinking the same. Expansion of the Southern area to take in whole of Kent and bi-annual continental excursions !!!
With the amount of motor homes in the Southern fleet now you'll need more far flung fun destinations to sail at surely !!
Ivan 1300

gordon Kingston

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »

Hi Ivan
Lets transfer this conversation to the sensible south about Downs and Minnis Bay. 
Chris, Why not call it East Anglian area ONLY, hardly counts as East area if your only doing the bump!

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »

Gordon you have to understand that much of my domestic and professional life was spent in North London.  South of the river is slightly scary and unknown territory. 😊
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"
Pages: [1]   Go Up