Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 05:24:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Far East Open (i.e. Oulton Broad)  (Read 2018 times)

OultonBen

Far East Open (i.e. Oulton Broad)
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »

Oulton Broad Open is scheduled for Saturday 22nd July.
Four races, with three to count.
1st race 11:30;  '6'-'3'-'Go!' sequences;  Prizes 17:00.
  Launching at 'Colmans Dyke', NR33 9JR (south of Everitts Park);
  Mooring alongside pontoons at Waveney & Oulton Broad YC;
  Car Parking is Council's ÂŁ5 per day.
  T-Shirt prizes (... for the larger gentleman ... !) from NorthOneDesign™

Programme:-
  Race-1  11:30
  Race-2  Back-to-Back (~12:20)
    Break for light lunch

Race-3  14:30  (3-min ahead of club classes)
  Race-4  15:30  (3-min ahead of club classes)
  Prizes    17:00
OultonBen (Phant-1266) at home on 01502-573 570
My Head Hurts !

OultonBen

Re: Far East Open (i.e. Oulton Broad)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »

Phantom Sailors uphold honour + tradition of the Class:  Stomachs take priority over Sailing !

Results are here http://wobyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Phantom-open-meeting-22nd-July-2017-1.htm.
Oulton Broad Members Nick and Ben took all four wins, sharing these 2 each, with Nick excelling in the afternoon windier conditions.  Huge thanks to "Creeksea-on-Tour" who made up most of the remaining fleet (Nick Yannakoyorgos from Fishers Green returned probably the most consistent set of results, 3x3).

Friday saw 3 Creeksea boats practising with Ben driving the chase-RiB, in conditions which were probably much too boisterous, but they also followed up with an impromptu but considered rules session.
Saturday's racing saw Ben take-off like a bullet from the start-line, never to be headed, while behind there ensued the occasional loud debate over, "... is this mark to Starboard or to ... No, ... Yes, .... errrr, Ben did it like .... Port ! ..... ".
Race 2 saw Chris take off in similar fashion, only to be slowly reeled in by Ben; then when Chris met his own personal mini-whirlwind Ben took advantage by sailing around it, taking the lead and his second win.
The fleet put back in to the boatpark looking forward to a promised Pizza-Lunch, only to find everything gone (some very hungry International-12 visiting sailors ?);  there was a collective vote-with-feet and sailors stayed put waiting for a new pizza order .... while the race office tried to work out where on earth to place their next start in a by now very fluid series.
The wind grew a touch stronger and Nick Favell clicked into hyper-drive to windward; Ben hung in and these two pulled well clear of the fleet; eventually Ben managed an overtake on the last downwind only to discover that everyone had been finished on the previous lap.  Coming into the final race Ben had already won the event and too relaxed in starting perspective thought he was over so returned to re-start last; that gave Favell, still firing on afterburners, his second win despite Chris Roberts and Roger Smith eventually very hot on his heels.

Many thanks to Race Officer Richard Sullivan whose master-stroke was to retain the same mark-rounding order, while simply shifting marks to suit a backing wind direction (oh yes, and for being sooo accommodating over the fleet's 'Food-First' policy !).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:46:41 AM by OultonBen »
My Head Hurts !

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
Re: Far East Open (i.e. Oulton Broad)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »

Thank you Ben and everyone at WOBSC for a great event.  I don't think any of the visiting Creeksea massive were in a fit state of health to sail at the club today.  Broken men....

As for those International 12 sailors eating our pizzas.......
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"
Pages: [1]   Go Up