Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 10:58:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hows about an annually updated boat list.  (Read 9586 times)

Christina the astonishing

Hows about an annually updated boat list.
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »

Could we have a list from 1 to 1300 showing Boat name, Owner and most recent location.

jeffers

Re: Hows about an annually updated boat list.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Maybe, if only Roger Brown would send me a list of the members I could...but he doesn't seem to want to at the moment. I guess that a problem would come from publishing members names from a computer database without their permission as it would run foul of the data protection act if someone wanted to cause problems.
MaxiB

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »

If its voluntary and those who wish to sign up can.  Those who dont can still identify their boat as existing and it can be listed as known. I dont think a name and a boat number will prove an issue with the DPA if you a re worried stick it in the members bit!

The class could treat it as a big game of bingo!

It would be cool do see if we could trace all the boats.  How many sailing clubs are there in the UK we could contact them all to track down the boats.

Doug

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »

if you look in general discussion, and then sail numbers and names, that gives a reasonable list....although no locations. Good starting point though.

Doug Conway

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »

With only 1250 boats out there we should be able to get a reasonable list together.   Towards the end it would be a bit like the I Spy books.  We dont even need to show the owners name just that the boat exists!

Lets have an audit!

bertie bassett

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »

if you look in general discussion, and then sail numbers and names, that gives a reasonable list....although no locations. Good starting point though.

I think it's a great idea from Christina..

Whilst the forum list is cool would be better to have a resource on the website including club names for example - I'm sure our webgurus could pull something together quite readily...

the MPS buoys seem to have done it as a forum with a separate thread for each boat which I think it a bit overkill as it's not like you're going to get "ooh I remember sailing that boat back in 1972" in the MPS fleet, plus personally I like to keep my forum nick name separate from real names

goffy

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

i know the flying fifteen association publish a full list in the year book each year also with members of the fifteen fleet  with full addressess etc.
Pete 1273

jeffers

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »

Right, I have done some digging with the help of El Presidente on whether this is feasible. His conclusions are much along the same lines as mine. He believes that publishing this sort of data, no matter how innocuous it seems would probably fall foul of the data protection act. There would also be the fact that a list of every boat and its location could be a potential thieves shopping list.

If everyone wants to publist their details via the forum then that it is their responsibility and their actions. The class association cannot be found to be in the position of publishing information contrary to rules of the data protection act, so our apologies for that.

MaxiB

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »

Hows about about a list of boat numbers   with a known or unknown box those wishing to enter location can do those who do not dont.

I hope with the emergence of a classic fleet knowing the location of the "Lost" boats would be a good thing for the class.

I am signed up to the Yachts and Yachting and Yachting and I am sure a few other sites could be utilised to help us track down the Lost boats whereabouts.  The more we find and get into usage the better really.  I think the GP14 class had a list of some description at one point.  I will do some digging.

With less than 1300 boats to locate I am confident that between us we would could locate and utilise such information to the classes benefit in the long term. 

I am sure Y&Y would put a small editorial in for us as well.

Norman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

The international 5o5 site has a list of first and subsequent owners for most boats (new boats are 8960ish).  I can't see what DPA issues this can cause.
Norman

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »

Simon
1376- :-)

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

maxibuddah

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »

Well we've got one too, admittedly without the full functionality of the others, but I don't have time to one. Please look under the info link above to find the Phantom Class Boat Register. You can add your boat to it and we can all what they are and where they are. I just hope that this is enough to stop this topice being expanded even more for me to do more work...... ;D
MaxiB
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Bwgan

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »

I can't seem to find it  ???
i just have Plastic Phantoms, Other  Phantoms, Phantom Clubs & Committee

And same with the videos, i only have a photo section under gallery  ???

Alex

maxibuddah

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »

Whoops ;D I activate the links so that only I can see them for testing purposes but unfortunately I forgot to reactivate for everyone, thanks for letting me know, you should be able to see them now.

Before anyone asks no you cannot have photos added to the boat register, I just don't have time to sort that out, you'll have to make do with a boring old list.

MaxiB
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up