Phantom Class Forum

• May 04, 2024, 06:57:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail Number Sizes  (Read 5082 times)

JeremyH

Sail Number Sizes
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »

What size do sail numbers need to be?  I know that sail numbers for Oppies are 9" and toppers and cadets are 10" and convention has always been all else 12", but why?  There is no measurement requirement in class rules ..  just min size of class insignia.  Is there a more general (ISAF?) rule for min sail number size?  Is there also anything on type style?  traditionally it has been roman (?) but nowadays I see more italics ....  thinner numbers (harder to see on start line?)  etc. 
Part of reason I ask is my wife has a craft cutting machine where she can cut my sail numbers which costs about 25p per sheet of vinyl .... trouble is that it is A4 sheet and therefore comes out at more like 11" instead of 12". :-\

maxibuddah

Sail Number Sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »

certainly there are more stylialised numbers out there and its never seemed to have been a problem. As for size I'm not sure. There are rules in the ISAF stuff about positioning I think. Go on the ISAF website and have a look and let us know
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

JeremyH

Sail Number Sizes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »

OK ....  found it  RRS rule 77 and appd G ....  
for ISAF classes depending on length:
Overall length Minimum height Minimum space
between characters and from edge of sail

under 3.5 m     230 mm 45 mm
3.5 m – 8.5 m  300 mm 60 mm

type style 'Commercially available typefaces giving the same or better legibility than Helvetica are acceptable'.....

for non ISAF classes then per CA or national authority rules.

Our CA does not specify for numbers (only class insignia).  RYA assigns numbers and requirements for national classes (not including Phantom). but has an RYA rule:

APPENDIX G IDENTIFICATION ON SAILS
G1 Identification, Specifications, Positioning
The requirements of rules G1.1, G1.2 and G1.3 apply to all British owned boats except that:
(a) under rule G1.1(a), class insignia need not be carried when the boat carries a sail number from one of the series specified in G2(a), (b), (c) or (d) below.
(b) under rule G1.1(c), a sail number of more than four digits may be carried.
(c) under rule G1.1(c), for boats other than ISAF classes, one of the authorities specified in G2 below shall allot an appropriate sail number.
(d) under rule G1.2(b), the height of a letter included as part of a sail number shall be the same as any numerals included in the sail number.
(e) under rule G1.3(c), the national letters may be placed in front of or above the sail numbers.

G1.2 is requirement for 300MM ..  so there you go.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:15:36 AM by JeremyH »

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
Re: Sail Number Sizes
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »

Just make sure we can read them, we don't necessarly have to comply with ISAF, we are the Phantom you know  :D

Titch :-*
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly
Pages: [1]   Go Up