Phantom Class Forum

• May 15, 2024, 09:42:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alton Open  (Read 11863 times)

Chains

• http://www.rbsc.org.uk
Re: Alton Open
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »

I would support a return to organiser basaed reporting - gives the opportunity to blame poor performance despite local knowledge on journalistic data acquisition, and with Marcus at Up Yours next you know its gonna b a pukka tail. 
1349 Jade

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »

Darren,

Thanks for the gentle remider, subtle as always, how could I have forgotton a rule I proposed ???

Titch  :-*
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »

A huge fleet turned up (32) for the first Phantom Eastern Series event, following a hard Saturdays training and a few swimming lessons some legs were aching already. Sunday brought the usual pelter of sails to measure and a nice steady F2-3 blowing "In the best direction" according to locals...

Race one saw the usual sequence of flags, eventually starting on a "Black" which managed to exclude 5 sailors, still leaving a healthy fleet, it also saw the wind drop, change direction and disappear altogether, the pack turned inside out and Radley, Cowood and Case came up smelling of roses... this left Pike, House & Warren prayers answered as they had followed the right pack and Wayling, Jarvey & Scrimshaw cursing the lead which was "Stolen" from them.

Following an excellent lunch we all watched for wind, it finally arrived and we all set off again.

Race two was a fickle affair with a nice wind shift 10 seconds before the off giving some a huge advantage who were at the wrong end of the line 10 seconds earlier, Parkin, Jarvey & Gregory showed their "Drifting Skills", showing Pike, Radley & Warren how to "Watch that Burgee"

Race three saw the Black flag out again but only Gregory got bounced, with the breeze setting Cowood, Parkin & Roberts took the honours.

Race four and everything was to play for, the wind was slightly more stable all be it from another direction "Sea Breeze" Maybe? but some were now "Sitting on the side".... and some falling in and squealing like little girls as the cold water searched for the hard to clean areas of the "Kitchen".. A clean start with a fair line saw the fleet set of, Cowood needed to defend his place and very close racing ensued with the lead changing several times, but Cowood showed his consistency by taking the Bullet followed by Wayling & Radley.

Overall Simon Cowood - Northampton took the "Drink" home, no chocolates as he is watching his weight, Nick Radley - Stone took a very well deserved 2nd, showing he doesn't need tide to help him and Richard Parkin - Hunts, showing he is as fast as ever, and doesn't need any practice...

The fleet moves onto "Up River Yacht Club" on 10th & 11th April - Sailing on the Upper Reaches of the Crouch, A totally different challenge I suspect, but one thing for sure is the Saturday night social will be "PUKKA" !!

"I forgot I came 5th" honest govener,, ;)

Titch  :-*

Rank
Class
SailNo
HelmName
Club

1st
Phantom
Simon Cowood
Northampton

2nd
Phantom
Nick Radley
Stone SC

3rd
Phantom
Richard Parkin
Hunts SC

4th
Phantom
James Case
Wells SC

5th
Phantom
John Wayling
Stewartby Water

6th
Phantom
James Jarvey
Hickling Broad SC

7th
Phantom
Darren Pike
Rollesby Broad SC

8th
Phantom
Alistair Warren
Norfolk

9th
Phantom
Matthew House
RHYC

10th
Phantom
Jez Taylor
Southwold SC

Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up