Phantom Class Forum

• May 20, 2024, 02:10:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progressive help wanted  (Read 3659 times)

Progressive help wanted
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:05:08 PM »

Hi all Phantom owners
The new season approaches (where is the spell check) and I want to improve. The boat is up to it; do I have the skills to get more out of it? please help me!!!!
I have not seen my old woodie since last November (when she chucked me in the lake) and I intend to set her up better this year. I am going to start by checking the mast is 3300mm from the back of the mast to the aftermost edge of the transome. It this correct? I intend to keep asking questions.
Please help
Bill (693) :-X

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
Re: Progressive help wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »

Bill,

693 is an ex-creeksea boat and was set up in the past by JT (John Torrance) .  I am sure that he will correct me if necessary but I would suggest that you avoid trying to set her up as per. the latest tuning guides.  Why? 

Well, firstly the mast step position is likely to be in a different position to a grp boat.  Secondly, the transom may be slightly different.

I'd leave well alone and get on with sailing her.  Sail her till you don't fall over.  Boat tune is pretty irrelevant till then....

Over to them as knows more...... :-)

Chris.

Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »

I would very much like to learn of any history of my boat. I very much enjoy sailing and racing her.
I bought her last March, and being 18 stone she instantly inproved my performance. I want to improve.
Last year (graduating from a laser) I just stuck the mast up (after playing with the spreader adjusting screws) and left it be all season. The boat was definately better on the port tack, which suggest I messed something up. Even so, I was able to beat some good boats on handicap and I think I can do even better this season. I want to establish a basic set of known settings and then try some adjustments at each race, but also be able to understand what is being done.
I will just set up the mast and measure what I can and publish the results and take ie from there. ???

Nessa

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »

My mast step position is also in a different position from most.  I am happy to compare results etc, but first I need to get spreaders and lowers sorted.  I have bought the fittings etc, they just haven't made it onto the boat yet.

Whereabouts are you 693?

John Torrance

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »

Bill
693 is a good boat, the set up that I used is as follows:-

Mast step, rear pin 3 holes from the back of the step, the other pin then fits in front of the tennon.
Mast set up, with the rig firm, not tight, attach a tape to the main haliard and pull to the top of the mast and measure to the aft outside corner of the deck on the transom. Adjust so this is 22' 6" on each side.
Set the lowers tight.
Then don't touch a thing but sail lots. The boat will do well.
Good luck.
John

Nessa

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »

John, do you the measurement from the aft edge of the mast to the transom?  Also, what length should the spreaders be?

Thanks.

John Torrance

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »

Bill
No I don't have the measurement from the transom, my tape is too short!  It was only the hole on the mast step, but I think it was 1 metre from the bow to the front of the mast. The spreaders were as they came with the boat, but that seemed OK. Most important is to set it up about right and then sail it and not worry about the minutia as that will make less difference than a duff tack.
John

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

John
Many thanks for your info. You may regret 'outing' yourself as a previous owner of my boat, however it wasn't me that asked the question ref the spreaders. I now have the settings I need to start the season, together with some pointers for improvement. I will keep you all informed. I am very good at duff tacks but I have improved from when the entire fleet used to lap me!!!

Bill

PS to Nessa
693 is at Hornsea SC (East Riding of Yorkshire)
We have a fantastic lake about 2 miles long and 3/4 wide with islands and shallows and 10 boyes. It is only 1/2 mile from the sea and so wind can change (that evening sea breeze) during a race. We race handicap and I am the only Phantom and have a lot of fun.
Where are you?

Bill

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up