Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 08:17:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO ARE THE CLASSIC OWNERS ?  (Read 18568 times)

whiskywill

Re: WHO ARE THE CLASSIC OWNERS ?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »

Can we have some pictures. What do you intend doing once the work is complete?

This is it before I stripped all the varnish off.

When its finished I will sail it. I used to sail a wooden OK but I am now too fat to get under the low boom.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:12:35 PM by whiskywill »

jim jim

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

Hi Mike could you put me on you list I have 916 booootful old  boat as she came out of the box . Having lots of fun at club level .  thanks for keeping the old uns  going    jim frost   buckenham s/c 

jez_Southwold

• Southwold Sailing Club
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

Bring your ship to Southwold this weekend Jim Jim! Not far from Buckenham! Dick Fisher is Race Officer. Be good to see you.
Jez - 1259 "Sweet Chariot"

mikec

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »

Another one for the list, you might already have it

669, Buckenham SC

Cloverjohn

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »

Hi there, I'm new to the class and this forum. I've just bought number 866 in mind of a little winter restoration project. It is a chapman built self-drainer hull but the floor is cracked and probably needs replacing.

Anyone got any experience of doing this, different ideas, pics of their own restoration etc. All help will be gratefully received as I want to go about this in the right way!

Thanks
John 

chappie

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

Hi  re Phantom 866 this boat was built over 20 years ago and was the
first Phantom to have a false floor, If it is the original floor it hasnt done too bad . Send me more details size and position of the crack and I will help you repair or replace it.     chappie

John Torrance

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »

I used to own 866 - it was a good, fast boat. Easiest repair fot the floor would be to clean round the area that has split and epoxy a 4mm thick plywood doubler over the top. This should be easy as she has a flat floor. If you then paint with non slip deck paint it will look like it has bee there since the boat was built
Good luck and enjoy.
John

Cloverjohn

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »

Thanks for your input guys, I was considering taking the the false floor out completely and going deep cockpit, but seeing as it was the first of its type I feel like I should restore it back to how it was. Chappie, I will send you some pics of the damage to see what you think.

Thanks John, I'm also John and it bought from it from John........creepy. 

chappie

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the pics of the floor of 866, Looking at these Iwould suggest you replace , It has probably been leaking water into the bottom of the hull and you could make a much better job if you start here.
   1st job...Remove floor to expose as much of the hull as possible,
 go right up to the edges of c/board case,bulhead, and side panels.leave to dry out.  Send me more pics..  C             

Nessa

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 11:24:28 AM »

so how difficult/worthwhile would it be to fit a false floor into my boat - K88?  I really just want to stop it shipping too much water should I capsize.

phantom badger

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 04:55:30 PM »

hi guys,  iv just finished my new boat and i think it looks sweet  num 896 claridge,carbon rig and centre board, jj rudder and stock.  its now at burwain sc lancs.   see what you  lot think
 http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/tlrchris123/?newest=1
  badger

Marcus@UpYoursYC

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »

good effort looks sweet :)

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »

Hi Guys,

Good to see there is still plenty of activity on this front. It seems a long time ago when this topic was first started, and to see it still getting good reaction is marvellous.

My own actions around a woodie has had to be abandoned. Got 909 from someone who had kept it in a garage to dry out and then rebuild, but he had run out of time and patience from his other half. I acquired it and allowed it to dry out further. However, when closely inspecting it, there was so little good wood left, the conclusion was that it could be quicker to built a new one (and into that I could add a host of modifications so it didn't fall to bits in very heavy seas).

Regrettably 'screaming banshie' has gone to the Phantom spirits grave after a quick cremation with plenty of hissing and spattling. Some one, I reckon, had left it sitting on its bottom in a boat park without adequate covers for several years.  They don't like that al all !!

I hope a few more 'woodies' are recovered, as there are actually very limited numbers of them left. So well done to all of you who have made this wonderful craft gain a few more years of life.

Mike

Trig

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »

Hello Guy's
She's not a recovered Woodie, but she is a Woodie that I have just bought off one of your existing members, I'm now the proud owner of boat 957, and I will be sailing her at Southport Sailing Club.

Trev.

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Hello Guy's
She's not a recovered Woodie, but she is a Woodie that I have just bought off one of your existing members, I'm now the proud owner of boat 957, and I will be sailing her at Southport Sailing Club.

Trev.

Hi Trev,

Good to see you're a 'classic nut' and making the most of the boat.   Build up your experience and hopefully, we can get a number together and see about an event sometime.

What is needed now, is for those still with a 'woodie', to reconfim their interest (via this forum) and then I'll see what can be done.

Get in touch you guys. We need to know if you are still to be counted?

Mike
aka 'Classic Man' & 'low-bouyancy-man'.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up