Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 10:31:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO ARE THE CLASSIC OWNERS ?  (Read 18569 times)

low-bouyancy-man

WHO ARE THE CLASSIC OWNERS ?
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »

From earlier exchanges and the passion expressed by some, everyone would have thought the numbers of owners identifying themselves would have reached at least 50 by now. In fact those prepared to be obvious as to who they are, number only about 12 or so!  If the numbers are genuinely that low, then they are certainly a very boisterous group!!

I think there are a few more out there. Why not contact me and have your details added to the slowly growing list of Classic owners and let's get ourselves organised into a group of like minded people and meet up for sailing together whenever we can?

Please get in touch with me at "classicman@phantomclass.org.uk"

Mike, the Classicman.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:41:33 PM by low-bouyancy-man »

trickeytrees

Re: WHO ARE THE CLASSIC OWNERS ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »

Mike, i would hope you have some record of me in 810, it's being re housed in a garage in a week or two and i'm going to gain some experience winter sailing a 400 to come out next year a whole lot more experienced, so if you haven't got me down then amend your records...

Wooden 810, self draining @ Tewkesbury

Andrew

Nessa

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

Mike, I think I must be on your list?

K88, the Phantom Menace!

phantom badger

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

hi mike,  chris owns 678 with tin rig and now after lots of hard work has now had a new floor,top decks and a low buoyancy convertion have sailed it once now and need some more time in the boat  ps it kept at yorkshire dales sc  cheers chris 

andychad

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »

Hi Mike,

Another classic surfaces - spluttering? I've just bought hull 868 on Ebay - to go with a tin Wavelength mast that’s been in the loft for 8(!) years while I sailed various other things - previously sailed Phantom 466 then 1036 at Findhorn - see Phanmail Autumn 2001 cover photo.

868 is a wooden self-drainer and will be sailed in Argyll at Craignish Boat Club, where Lasers are really the only single handers on the water. Have to see how I get on - could be fun!

Main question is - anyone got a half decent moderately priced used sail to complete the budget fun package?

Andy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »

Hi Mike
I may have already made contact! I have sail No 693 on Hornsea mere (East riding of Yorkshire) but I don't have a trailer so have to take on the local mob every week. Was a novice, but can now beat a few. Great boats Phantoms. All but one of the local Ospray owners here have asked me to have a try out in 693. Maybe soon we will have a fleet!!
693 (name change comming)

Bwgan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »

i have 607 in the garage

brookesy

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »

I have just acquired 837 and will be putting it back together as it was stripped for restoration and abandoned.It is a woody half double bottom and I would be grateful for any info on it as it has a layout diferent from others I have seen, and no certificate / paperwork.
Graham.

SigmaJon

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

Hello,

I am sure you have me down; 880 Famous Eccles on the Blackwater, Essex. Perhaps you could reply with a list of the boats that you currently have?
I would like to get a measurement certificate for her.
On the subject of classics; what is stopping 880 being competitive with the new boats? She is wooden so has the same hull stiffness she had when new, unlike a 5 year old plastic boat. Although not weighed she seems very light and is very well made (Harken fittings, Milanes foils). I am going to put the adjustable rig fittings on. If she had a carbon rig and was down to weight(ish) should she not be on a par?
I have always had the idea (mainly from Merlins) that the current incarnation of a class is always more successful as the top helms will always go for the newest, and are often sponsored to do so. To test this theory we should organise a Boat Swap Cup (during an open) meeting where we lend our classics to the front of fleet guys and vice versa.
Jonathan

davidh

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

896 is still afloat and sailing at netley, albeit with a P&B plastic sail and a carbon rig.

It's a Claridge hull, feels quite stiff for a boat of this age (okay, just how old IS 896????) and with the modern rig, bought at various times on fleabay so that nothing matches, still turns in a fair performance, though clearly nothing to compete with the newer boats at the club.

D

hurricane163

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »

I have bad news and good news.  First I own phantom 743 which has just gone to the big boatyard in the sky.  The good news is I am just finishing building a replacement wooden hull.  It will be afloat before christmas (yes 2008!!). 

As this is a home built woodie does this qualify as a clasic?

whiskywill

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

These are all newborns compared to mine. I have sail number 5, currently at my home being revarnished but destined for Merthyr Tydfil Sailing club.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »

Hey whiskywill
Fantastic early number. Can we have some pictures. I purchased an old deep hull woody because it was all I was allowed to spend at the time, but now I would not part with her as we have a lot of fun messing about as well as racing. What do you intend doing once the work is complete? This association would like to get us all to get together one day, but I don't have any means of moving mine, and so race/sail every wekend at Hornsea sc (east riding of yorkshire) What about meeting at Filey in July (I think) even just for a gossip!!! :-\
Bill

Nessa

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »

ooh, whiskywill!  You have taken away my status as oldest surviving phantom!  I have k88.  Well done for saving the boat!

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »

and more importantly "Which Classic owners are coming to the Inland's this wekend", to collect your prize ;)

Titch :-*
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up