Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 09:33:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's going on  (Read 2759 times)

what's going on
« on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »

hi
I have an old woodie, but have seen the classic Phantom forum die of late. What's wrong? I Know the proposed open meeting didnt go well, but these are great boats, don't despair. My boat is fantastic, I am an absolute novice and perhaps i should have stuck with the laser but I am 18 stone and got the Phantom in March.  Well last weekend our OD put in a corse with some beam reaches and the boat tought me how to plane. Second race I capsized upwind (never done that before) but I quickly got it up right and got back in it only to find it full of water? Never seen this with my downwind capsizes.
I am now worried about seeing the boat through the winter, as it will have to stay at the boat park outside. Any tips anyone?
Regards 693 

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
Re: what's going on
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »

Hello 693, Fistly you must have a name or Nick name ;) ;) 693 dosen't run of the tounge to well ::)

Best thing to do with any boat is to keep it aired, ie use it as often as possible, if you do have to leave if for long periods make sure its propped up so any water can drian out, either through the transom flaps or self bailers, if its self bailers make sure the level is correct to get most of the water out, remove all the hatch covers and bungs to keet the hull ventilated and remove everthing you can....

As to racing your woody we are encouraging you to come to any open meetings, we are working on a plan to have prizes at every event for 1st Classic, Bronze fleet etc, watch this space for updtaes...

Best Regards, Titch - 1175 "Alice"
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Nessa

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »

I didn't capsize mine upwind, but I did heel it right over and the water just poured in - a bit of a problem with no self bailers!  I have yet to do a full capsize and dread the thought of it.

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »

Referring to the original comment below, the Phantom Classic forum is still alive and well. If 'CLassic Owners' who are members of the Association wish to be more involved, then it would be appreciated if they would email me at "classicman@phantomclass org.uk" and identify themselves so a direct or forum based exchanged can happen. I've answered quite a large number of emails from potential and actual Classic owners, but few tell me who they are, where they are, where they sail and whether they would like to be included in a newsletter style email grouping.

So if you want to be involved, get in contact!

Mike (Classicman)
Pages: [1]   Go Up