Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 09:24:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 244  (Read 3651 times)

tonyM

« on: October 06, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

I have phantom 244 here in south africa it is the only one sailed here these day's it great and fast
made from wood in about 1969 from my understanding,
a guy gave it to me for little money he was short of cash .
I am forced to race it in open class against Finn and laser I beat most everyone in the old thing much to their frustration havn't a clue what the handy cap is but as you can emagine the rig is desperately ancient but it dosn't bother me she still out classes most of the best rigged finns and lasers.
I visit England from time to time and it would be nice for me to meet up at an event if I could borrow a boat it would be great I might even buy one and keep it there to sail when i visit who can assist       

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
Re: 244
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »

When are you over next?

Where will you be staying?

I am sure we can put you in touch with a local Phantom sailor and orgaine a yacht in a "Modern" boat, if you think 244 is quick you will definatly like the Epoxy hull with carbon rig  ;)
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

jeffers

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »

Currently the Phantom handicap is 1043 and the Laser is 1078 in the uk, so that should give you a rough idea in S.Africa. It must be said though that the handicap is derived from the bulk of the racing that is done in the epoxy & carbon rigged boats, so I would guess that yours should be a reasonable bit slower
MaxiB

tonyM

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »

When are you over next?

Where will you be staying?

I am sure we can put you in touch with a local Phantom sailor and orgaine a yacht in a "Modern" boat, if you think 244 is quick you will definatly like the Epoxy hull with carbon rig  ;)
i'm usualy in stowmarket area, I will need to plan a trip next year some business and then I can play maybe April /may 

NickoT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »

Hi Tony,

You are geographically right in the middle of our "Eastern Series" at Stowmarket, so an event when you come over next would be easy for you.
You are only 30mins from Alton water and we will have several phantoms there next year, most are keen to let others use their phantoms as this encourages others to buy Phantoms, so I'm sure using one when you're next here will be easey.

Regards,

Nick  ;D

tonyM

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »

thanks Nic when I am able to set times will let you know

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »

Hi Tony,

Planning a trip to the UK yet? There is plenty on at present, so you would be very well catered for.

Keep in touch !!

Classicman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up