Phantom Class Forum

• May 20, 2024, 02:14:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: self draining hull  (Read 3601 times)

self draining hull
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »

Hi all
I have an old deep hull woodie which I bought earlier this year and I race in the handicap races at Hornsea SC. I am a novice and have a lot to learn, however I no longer usually come last except for last weekend, when we had light winds and a course that was all beats and runs. I have often wondered why anyone would want a self draining hull as when I right the boat after a capsize it doesn't have much water in it, and this is usually quickly cleared by the self bailers. Well last weekend my boat filled with water, I must have been draging about 10 gallons (about 45 kilo's) around with me by the end of the race. It was coming in through the transom flaps and when I lowered the bailers it come in through those as well. I am thinking of sealing up the transom flaps as I don't see what good they do. Has any one else had this problem, and a solution?? Or can I fit a selft draining floor and cut away some of the transom? I would miss the space as I am 18 stone. Any Ideas

mikec

Re: self draining hull
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »

on 669 we are considering making her self draining along the top of the centreboard case but only back to the bolt, so that most of the water would be prevented from gathering in the deepest part of the hull and you still have the full depth where you want to put your feet (and so you don't keep falling over as you tend to in a tupperware boat)

phantom badger

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »

hi, i have 678 and this was made into a self bailer years ago, im also 6ft 2 and i can get around ok, also my dad had this boat 6 years ago and he is not a little guy.  iv just stripped the decks and floor out as it had pulled on the stays where some one had left rig tension on and the floor was in need of some tlc. now ive got i stripped  im going to make it into a low bouancy design, self bailer !!!! makes life easy  trust me i go swimming lots  hehe  ps i know you can get plans to make them into self bailers     

Denver Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »

Good to see you on the forum Chris ;)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »

:D
Hi all
Seeing all these earlier 600 sail/hull numbers is making me think I have a posh modern boat. Many thanks for the advice /info.I am going to have agood look this weekenf to see if I could make the front half water free as I think this is a good compromise. We have a good skilled bloke at Hornsea mere marine (he is also building a Phantom) and Iwill get some idea of prices and complexity from him.

Nessa

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »

Is there someone out there who can tell me where to get the plans for converting to a self draining hull?  The fear of capsizing and filling the boat with water is putting me off sailing her!

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

Look at the back of the Phanmail and call the designer who will be pleased to sell you a set of plans.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up