Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 07:11:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Campaign for the composite four.  (Read 10992 times)

low-bouyancy-man

Re: Campaign for the composite four.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »

I refer you to the penultimate paragraph of my reply below.

M

clibbs

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »

The CVRDA would recognize as classic any boat over 25 years old. Won't that do ??

Nick

Nessa

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »

That would certainly be fine with me - although I have no means of proving the age of my boat. 

I would like to join the association, but since I'd be unlikely to get to more than one event, I'd be pushed to justify affording it. 

I may well try to get to Blithfield just for the hell of it.  The boat looked good this evening with her new lines etc, but I'd need to beg or borrow a bottom cover.

Roger

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »

That would certainly be fine with me - although I have no means of proving the age of my boat. 

I would like to join the association, but since I'd be unlikely to get to more than one event, I'd be pushed to justify affording it. 

I may well try to get to Blithfield just for the hell of it.  The boat looked good this evening with her new lines etc, but I'd need to beg or borrow a bottom cover.

I think you miss the point of joining the association.....

The association is not just there for the racers, and not just something you should do to enter an event.

The association is there to support the class as a whole, old boats as much as new, the work of the association helps keep the class in the media, maintain a high profile for the class, help preserve the integrity of the boats and as a result helps maintain the value of all boats. Hence the work currently being done to try and find older Phantoms and provide support to their owners in the hope they will either be sailed more or be passed onto somebody looking for a low cost entry into the class.

This web site itself is an indication of what can be done by the association to help and aid its members, look at all the FREE advice and help that can be had here. All committee members give of their time and effort freely to support the class and its members, and many give a huge amount often costing them money from their own pockets.

In my opinion everybody who owns a Phantom should join the association as a routine, this web site itself is more than value for the small amount of cash it costs
Roger

Nessa

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »

I am well aware of the role of class associations Roger - I used to be on the committee of the 470 class association; I know what a thankless task it can be.  I have tried to use the forum to gain advice about my restoration project, but my requests for help have gone largely ignored.

None of the free advice offered seems to apply to my boat, in fact, apart from Mike, no one seems interested that I own probably the oldest phantom in the country and no one has been bothered enough even to measure their boom for me!

My work on my phantom has only cost me money - nobody else.  So far the forum and website have been pretty much irrelevant to me.

If, on the other hand, I ask a question on the contender forum or website, I get a wealth of useful, relevant answers from sailors all over the world - no matter how daft the question may have been.  Unsurprisingly I put my cash into that class instead.

Russell

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »

The CVRDA would recognize as classic any boat over 25 years old. Won't that do ??

Nick

Actually I believe the CVRDA only allows boats over 25 years old BUT designed before 1965.  I have done events in an old Kestrel I used to own.

Check out http://www.cvrda.org/

Russell

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

I believe the Phantom was designed after that, so it is down to the committee to decide.

Mike

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »

The Rondar Composite Four are classified as Classic Phantoms from now on, if they haven't yet sunk in recent racing.

Let's hear from you guys and get yourself to Blithfield on the 26th July for the 1st Classic Open. :)

neil

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I appear to have bought one of the Rondar 4, now the owner of 873.

Bought the boat blind off Facebook for not a lot even though I was after a woodie and finally got around to collecting today, the boat will be used for CVRDA events (had enough of Finns, and the CVRDA now allows classic Phantoms to take part).

Just wondering if the other Rondar boats are still around.

stevepopple

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »

surely a classic

Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up