Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 04:30:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Campaign for the composite four.  (Read 10991 times)

Christina the astonishing

Campaign for the composite four.
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

Dear all Classic fleet members.

I currently own and race Phantom 871.  It is quite a rarity being one of the four Paul Young/Rondar composite phantoms built in the 80's).  She is self filling (No Double floor) and is far from being competitiive with the newer shiny Phantoms that head the Contemporary fleet.

I would like her to be considered as Classic.  I have approached the commitee who have said no but suggested I open it up to the members of the classic fleet for cosideration.  I dont want to muddy the waters with regards to new composite boats built around new hulls as they obviously are a different Kettle of fish entirely!

I will be at the forthcoming Northampton event should anyone wish to scrutinise her. 

She is old (I dont know her original weight or DOB) and thus I would hope that with your agreement I would be allowed to compete with the Classics.

During my research when I purchased her from a guy near Yoevil, I heard that there were 4 composite Rondar boats built. Are any of the others still in use?  I know she had to have major works  to get her back into shape

I look forward to hearing your views. 

Kind regards

James
Phantom 871
"Christina the Astonishing"

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:09:05 AM by Christina the astonishing »

marcus3292

Re: Campaign for the composite four.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »

i would be happy to say it is a classic as non self draining being part made of glass doesnt make it new or faster????
phantom 1116

John Torrance

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:38:38 PM »

James
I don't know who you asked on the committee but the subject has not been raised at a committee meeting. Personally, and this is not a committee decission, I cannot see any reason why your boat does not qualify as a classic inspite of the plastic hull.
For those of us old enough to remember the four composites always performed well.
Perhaps it will be discussed at the next meeting.
Enjoy the boat anyway and good luck.
John

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »

I discussed it with Mike Potter.

The Cat

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »

I think it should be a classic.  Any none self drainer should be.

Simon Childs

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:52 PM »

I owed 874 at Sutton Bingham having purchased it from the illustrious Mr Barnstable.  This was around the same time that 871 was there.  874 went to a new home on the south coast in 2003 when 1139 arrived all light and shiny.

If you have ever hauled one of the composites up a steep slipway you wouldn't doubt their claim to classic status.  874 in its old age made the old Vandercraft GRP boats seem light.  It also needed more than a single Elvestrom mini bailer to empty it after its frequent capsizes. I do however believe it won the Nationals (twice?) in its youth in inifinitely more capable hands.

Chris

Big Foot

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what does having a classic actually mean in practice. I have 946, a wooden self drainer, which I plan to venture out with for the first time at the Inlands next month.
Does having a classic there change anything, other than the fact that I won't be able to keep up with the others?

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »

At the moment, a Classic means nothing when racing with the other tupperware boats. But we hope to run some races soon , possibly at Blithfield, and hopefully at the Nationals where some form of handicapping within the Classics will allow for a more even result.

This is not passed the committee yet as I've not been able to attend a meeting due to work clashes with dates fir meetings. Email me at mikejpotter@talktalk.net and I will put you into the Classic database for information forwarding when it happens.

Regards,

Mike.

Nessa

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »

Now you see for me, classic means about 30 years old or more (and I'm not talking about myself here!)  I hope I am in your database Mike.  I will try and bring the boat to Blithfield one of these days.....

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

You are very welcome. Blithfield seems to be taking the approach that Phantom owners ought to have two boats, one a Classic and one as the more competitive tupperware. I hope to offer a Classic event later in the summer and there will details about this at the Blithfield Open on 21st. June.

Come along and see for yourself!

Mike

Paul Lester

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »

Hi all,

Just a thought but instead of calling it a classic fleet. Instead call it the non epoxy fleet. Maybe title needs a bit of work but it would mean any boat not an epoxy hull would qualify.

At my club we have a guy sailing with a home built woodern boat with a number around 1230 ish (can't remember it exactly). Anyway his boat is not as quick as the epoxy boats and he uses an aluminium rig. Would he qualify for the classic fleet?

Cheers

Paul

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 06:15:07 PM »

I would hope the definition could be cut as such with inclusion being the aim to encorage rather than to exclude.

???

Nessa

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

non epoxy does not sound as good as classic.  I favour the non self draining approach myself.

K88 graced the water again yesterday - the sixth time since I bought her 10 years ago and is going nicely, despite the ramshackle rig.

low-bouyancy-man

Re: Campaign for the acceptance of the "Classic" as a different boat.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

Hi Guys,

It is far and away better to agree the definition of a 'Classic' Phantom than it is to come up with a codged description that covers a mixed bag of different non-epoxy boats.

The idea was simply to encourage the older Phantoms that were built to either the designers' plans that have always been available or to a design made up to suit the owners preferences, but all should 'measure' and be of 'wood' entirely.

The second step was to derive a method of handicapping that would make for a more level playing field for these older but slower boats, again keeping their owners interests to the fore. Such a handicapping method has been designed, but not yet ratified. I don't think it needs ratification, more an event run under its guidleines to see if it will work. I will be discussing this in Committee soon, I hope.

Once the "Classic" definition is accepted by every one, then we can add 'sub-groups' to encourage other members and their particular craft, be it wood, composite or non-epoxy plastic.   To do that will allow a greater involvement of the owners with their boats and keep the Association being relevant to them. Hopefully, some will even join the Association!

Due to pressure of work, I've not done as much as I would have liked in the context of the 'Classic' Phantom this year, but we hope to run one event in the Midlands to which all Classic owners will be very welcome. Watch the web-site for details as they become available.

Mike.

goffy

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:24:55 PM »

what about a epoxy hull with a wooden deck that is a non self drainer ?
Pete 1273
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up