Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 03:02:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 873  (Read 2960 times)

neil

« on: May 05, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »

Seeing Neil 758's posts I thought I'd introduce the progress on 873.

This is one of the Rondar 4 boats and is currently in my workshop getting a full strip down and refresh.

The boat as it was on collection.

Making good progress, should be finished in the next few weeks.

Got the the decks as good as I can get them, the bleached out and green ply won't take anymore sanding as the veneer is very thin as it's been sanded down a few times in the past.

The rippled bulkhead was due to the hatch hole being cut in the wrong place when it was built - the builders glued the piece of ply back in and stuck a new veneer in place before cutting the hatch hole in the right place. Over the years the glue on this had failed causing it to ripple and split - hence the new veneer on the bulkhead - looks a better colour in real life as the pic is taken under a strip light

Will stop varnishing now as I have fun bit to come - fitting it out using the collection of stuff bought of eBay and other sources. Made the decision to make this one cost neutral, so if I needed to buy something I  sell something else on eBay to pay for it.

I'll be doing a few CVRDA events this year as the Phantom now qualifies for CVRDA events (providing they were built before 1985 and they are using Tin rigs).

Boat will be based at Roadford Lake in Devon.

Neil 758

Re: 873
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »

That's looking really good Neil. I know the modern boats are lighter and stiffer, but the woodies are much more attractive. I cheated by buying a Phantom with all the hard restoration work already done, but now enjoying the sailing and fiddling with blocks and string.

neil

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »

Well, nearly finished. Forgot how awful 4mm Excel Control is to splice. Hopefully on the water next weekend.

Neil 758

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »

Wow! She's looking like an absolute beauty now Neil. It's great to see an older boat properly restored to a high standard and back in action. Thanks also for the pics - the mast base photo is quite useful for me as I continue to bimble on with 758. Now for the getting wet bit - enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up