Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 06:21:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom 758 "Valkyrie"  (Read 8447 times)

Neil 758

Phantom 758 "Valkyrie"
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:35:57 PM »

Hi all,

So, I'm the new owner of Phantom 758 "Valkyrie". This is a fantastic older wooden Phantom which has been beautifully restored over the past few years by Alan Husk. It's now based up at Derwent Reservoir SC in Northumberland. I've sailed her a couple of times so far and I'm pretty sure I've made the right choice. I've sailed a variety of fast boats over a number of years but this is the first singlehander I've had since sailing a Laser as a teenager. I have a couple of questions:

1. I'd like to improve the kicker by installing a proper cascade. Can I get away with 8:1 or do I need to go 16:1?

2. The current mainsheet is a bit on the thick and hairy side. Should I replace it with an 8mm sheet or do I need to go 10mm if I want to keep my fingers?

I've got a few more newbie issues, but that'll do for now.

Cheers and hope to meet some of you before too long,

Neil

Phil_1193

• Administrator
Re: Phantom 758 "Valkyrie"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:08:52 AM »

Welcome to the class, you have definately made the right decision, not only with the boat, but buying an AH one is a good move.

As for your questions:-

1) The Phantom goes on the kicker, the right or wrong amount makes a huge difference to boat speed, so a 16:1 would be preferable, BUT the wooden boats arent as stiff as the later Epoxy ones so winding on the kicker can just bend the boat. Stick with what you have for the time being and see how it pans out over time - have a read of the rigging guides as rake and kicker are your best friends from now on

2) 7mm Rooster antitanglesuperfandangled rope is/ has been the rope of choice, the anti tangle bit is the bonus. your hands will suffer for the first few weeks with any main sheet so if you cant MTFU then use gloves  ;D ;D. If you do get a new rope, make sure you wash it first as it will be slippery, which can be horrible for you but amusing for the punters watching on the foreshore!  A decent ratchet block also helps.

If it has an aluminium boom its worth investing n a carbon version, partly due to less weight swinging about, but mainly because the carbon one hurts alot less when you smash it over the back of your head, you will at some point  ;D ;D.

If you are interested this years Nationals are at Highcliffe in September and there is a classic trophy for the 'woodies' [/salespitch].

Good luck and hopefully see you areound :)

Neil 758

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »

Thanks Phil, useful advice. I need to spend an afternoon just doing a bit of bimbling of some of the control lines I think.

Can't promise I'm coming yet, but I have booked 8-10 September off work 😃. Just need to pluck up the courage to tell the darling lady wife now.....

maxibuddah

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »

and for goodness sake don't apply the levels of rig tension that the tuning guides suggest to a wooden boat, you will break quicker than you can with the kicker
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Neil 758

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

No worries, Valkyrie is a classy older lady, so will be treated with plenty of respect.

To be honest, I don't really understand why such massive rig tension is recommended, even for the new epoxy boats. There is no jib luff to stand up straight, and we're not worried about crew weight on a trapeze making the windward shroud go slack. And then the first recommendation when the wind picks up is to ease off the forestay anyway, without adjustable main shrouds to pick up the tension again. Is it just to maximise mast stiffness and power at lower wind speeds?

Neil 758

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »

Ok folks, here's the next set-up question:
Valkyrie currently has no centreboard up or down haul to speak of. I've tried looking on Google images for some detailed cockpit pictures without much success. There are some excellent onboard YouTube videos which are actually quite useful for looking at the control line setup, but it's difficult to see some of the finer detail with the boat bouncing at warp speed :) 
As far as I can see, most boats seem to have a 2:1 purchase for the board downhaul and another for the uphaul with the tails led out to either side of the cockpit. What I can't quite see is whether these lines are lead through cleats at the ends. Do you jam the lines in position, or do you just rely on friction to keep the board in place? My centre board seems to stay put on its own so far, but I've only been out in light conditions. Will it need holding down when the breeze and speed get up? Any suggestions welcome.

neil

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »

Am about to restring 873 so can sort some pics out in the next few days one the varnish cures, the centreboard lines are the first to go on.

All I'm doing at this stage is replacing the arrangement that was there with new blocks and rope. Rather than try and describe it I'll sort some pics out

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »

As far as I can see, most boats seem to have a 2:1 purchase for the board downhaul and another for the uphaul with the tails led out to either side of the cockpit. What I can't quite see is whether these lines are lead through cleats at the ends. Do you jam the lines in position, or do you just rely on friction to keep the board in place?

No cleats on the up and down haul for the centre board, JAP tape is your best friend.

Two ropes, one to up haul one to down haul is the general Phantom design.

Uphaul goes from side tank, to swivel block on bulkhead as close to deck floor level as possible, to centre board, back to second swivel block on bulkhead next to first one, then out to side tank. Rope passes through c/board with a stop knot each side.

Downhaul goes from stardoard side tank roughly in line with mainsheet tower, to block fixed to the edge of the c/board case just infront of the mainsheet tower, to block fixed on top edge of c/board close to front edge, back to second block on port side opposite starboard side one and then fixed to side tank. both sides have stop knot on the outside of the block so when you pull you arent putting stress on the side tank fixing.

There are various differences to the above but it is a good starting point
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:34:43 AM by Phil_1193 »

maxibuddah

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »

You can do it with a single rope too. Start with it knotted to the front of the board. Take one side down to a turning block on the floor just to starboard of the board (make sure it's far enough forward of the top of the board handle to pull the board forwards). Route out to the side tank and pass through either a block or a stainless ring. No load skittles be on this point so I'd go for the ring for weight and cost. Then down to a turning block on the floor just on the starboard side of the case (far enough back so it pulls the board aft). Then from there route up to the back of the board handle and tie off. Do the same on the opposite side. So long as your board is fitted nicely with a bit of friction like Phil said with Jap tape you can have a little slack in the rope too which makes it easier to pull.

To raise the board pull the bit of rope that congress from the forward block and pull the one to three back of the board to lower. Worked very nicely on mine and fairly cheap to implement

maxibuddah

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

I've done a bad sketch but cannot upload it cos the path for storage cannot be found. Sorry

Neil 758

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I understand both suggested systems. Most of the boats I've been sailing for the last few years had daggerboards so I didn't have to think about this! I'm going to the sailing club on Wednesday evening but the forecast is for 5mph wind, so I'll probably spend the time rigging up the centreboard system instead. Many thanks!

Neil 758

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »

So, I've been out in Valkyrie half a dozen times so far, but mostly in lightish stuff. Until today.... I had such an epic good time doing the club racing at Derwent Reservoir SC this morning that I just wanted to share it with you all! It was blowing about 15-18mph when we launched, built to a solid 20mph with some 10 minute spells of what must have been 25+. The lake surface went black with a load of white spray, Flying Fifteens broaching left, right and centre and some RS boat lost it's mast. The Phantom was absolutely brilliant. Hard work upwind (which is what I want from a proper boat), with some very fast reaches and runs. I had an interesting approach to the leeward mark running slightly by the lee when one of the big gusts arrived. It was a very hairy 30 seconds with the boat trying to death roll wildy, but unable to luff up or I would have missed the mark. I managed to hold it... just.... and rounded up for the final beat without going swimming. Aching everywhere now, but can't wait to do it all again! 

Neil 758

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »

My new 200kg hanging scales arrived today  :-\
Wish me luck, this could be painful....

Anyone care to take a guess at the weight of the current Classic National Champion Phantom? A free pint for the winner!

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »

Neil, is this a cunning ploy just before Xmas?  Loud tut tutting etc. in order to get Santa to drop a new Epoxy Phantom down the chimney??
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »

Anyone care to take a guess at the weight of the current Classic National Champion Phantom?

78kg

I think you might be suprised how light it actually is  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up