Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 06:49:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woodie project?  (Read 4195 times)

neil

Woodie project?
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »

Hi

I'm looking at easing myself into the world of Phantoms after being a serial Finn and IC owner. I'm after a woodie as the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association - CVRDA have changed their definitions of their wings for a trial period and Classic Phantoms are now eligible for CVRDA events (they would have been welcome in the past, but now it's official), details at http://www.cvrda.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6431 if you are interested.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any early woodies that may be looking for a new owner. I'm happy to take on a project as have done plenty of restorations/rebuilds over the years. So if you know of a boat that's looking for a good home, or an abandoned project that might be for sale please let me know. I'm based in Plymouth but am willing to travel.

thanks

Neil

The Belgian

Re: Woodie project?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »

Hi Neil,
You have probably seen it already on the classified section. One for sale in Norwich for £380 that looks ok...
Ivan 1300

neil

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »

Thanks, I had seen that one. Was hoping to find something a little closer to home as Norfolk is quite a distance

Mikeyev60

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »

I know of one for sale in Shepperton TW17 0NF.  Needs some floor work but not much else (someone rather stupidly put reinforcement panels on but didn't seal them.  Doh!), just a couple of panels need letting in - the keel seems largely okay so should be a relatively straightforward fix.  One side has been cut out (a section about 35cm x 25cm) by way of investigation but the owner scooped a bargain Ovi that we all <3 so the woodie is there as a project.  I'm not sure if the owner is on this forum so I'll give him a nudge if you are interested. Let me know.  Mike

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

Alan Husk has one for sale
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

Phantom920

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:17 PM »

I live in Cheshire but could meet up on M5 if you are really interested in my old woodie 920. It was sailing well last year but I got a new plastic phantastic and set about stripping top sides to bare wood. This is 90% done but revealed a glassed over repair to the floor which could be done better and the knee needs rebonding. It's a self draining open transom design and will look great when properly varnished. Drop me a line at dawson_steveAtoutlookDOTcom if you want to know more
Steve

neil

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »

thanks for the interest, looks like I've found a boat.

Olly

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »

Olly Hopkins

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:31:47 AM »

That boat seemingly has alot of history within the fleet.

gordon Kingston

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:06:45 AM »

Didnt it give somebody a right good poke in the eye?
Pages: [1]   Go Up