Phantom Class Forum

• May 02, 2024, 08:48:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deep cockpit conversion to open transom?  (Read 3613 times)

Mikeyev60

Deep cockpit conversion to open transom?
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »

Hello!  Newbie here.  Newbie to sailing full stop, let alone Phantoms.  So; plenty of capsizes but getting better.  I've got transom flaps (that work okay) and self bailers (that need a fair draw to get anything through) but the dinghy takes ages to empty after inversion.  Fine when cruising but a real PITA in the first race I did - ended up giving up as it was crazy weather-vaning with all the water in and couldn't get the thing moving to empty it.  As soon as it started to move it snapped back to the dead zone!

I understand the differences and pros and cons of the higher floor boats, but can't help be envious of my friend who's Ovi hulled Phantom clears in seconds.  I do need the extra space, being tall, fat and old.  Is there a way of converting the wooden, low floored hulls into an open transom design?  I think I know the answer but thought I would try here first.

silverwood

Re: Deep cockpit conversion to open transom?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »

I have seen some half floor versions - false floor from front bulkhead to end of the centreboard case - but no idea of plans or how well they work. Less water at the front of the boat but plenty of legroom at the back!
Graham

gordon Kingston

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:11 PM »

Hi Mikey
JJ Boats make a version with double bottom from the bulhead back to the normal seating position, a deeper well for ease of handling with a couple of self bailers in and then double bottomed back to the transom.
Dont know whos got one local to you but could be worth having a look to get inspiration. They are also if finished in sapele very pretty.
Regards
Gordon

Little Monster

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »

If you look in the Gallery section there are some photos of my old boat (1404) being built by JJ showing the deep well.

Regards
Ian

Phantom Titch

• Administrator
  • Phantom Titch
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »

James Case modified an old FRP one too, seems to work for him,

Titch :-*
Old age, Seamanship & Fat will always overcome Youth, Skill & Exuberance ~ Mostly

RHYC 1

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »

Jim Hopton has done one and JJ has modified two Epoxy/Poly  Self drainers to deep cockpit.

Matthew 1432
Pages: [1]   Go Up