Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 09:32:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 949 Restoration  (Read 6985 times)

mardibloke

Re: 949 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »

It's pretty much done now, sailing it for first time last Wednesday evening,  minus toe straps and several control lines.  Hope to get the final fittings and toe straps on it tomorrow morning and do a couple of races.

Obtained a nice tin mast  and Rush sail, and experienced being hit by the boom!

Will get some photos tomorrow,  its no longer a white boat  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:06:01 PM by mardibloke »

mardibloke

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »

I'm sad to have taken the decision to sell 949,  it really is a pretty boat, and won me the few races I sailed it, even beating a 2007 Phantom with carbon mast etc.

Have taken the decision to give a Solo a try, as our sailing club lake is a little too small for the Phantom.  Its a shame as I found the Phantom really nice to race.

Should anyone be interested, its up on ebay now, with no reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phantom-Sailing-Dinghy-Boat-Number-949_W0QQitemZ280290475553QQ

Mike T

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »

An update on 949.

Having bought the boat from Rod last November and sailed it through the winter at Alton Water it is clear the boat has some potential. Having finally worked out how to sail her it has been possible to give some of the epoxy lovelies a run for their money, occassionally beating them and certainly being in the mix. The deck unfortunately is well past its best and whilst the epoxy coating has contained the worst I have decided to do the right thing and re-deck her. Currently in the garage with the deck stripped off awaiting new ply and a new gunwhale. I'll also strip some areas of detached varnish and redo those. Hopefully even with my skills I should end up with a pretty looking and effective boat. Due to the construction of the double floor, conversion to flooding side tanks is not possible as the whole bouyancy area is interconnected.

Anyone have any thoughts of other options whilst the deck is off? Someone had suggested a semi bulkhead under the mast step might be a good idea to help with rig loads. There is a substantial post there now but that transfers the load direct to the keel / floor only.

Plan is to get her finished by Christmas ready for the Frostbite Series at Alton Water. I'll post some photos when she is done. Have bought another woody - 901 in the interim to sail the winter series - couldn't survive that long without a phantom sailing fix! Also hoping to prove you don't need to spend a fortune to have a lot of fun sailing these beasts.

Cheers

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up