Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 06:30:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 949 Restoration  (Read 7000 times)

mardibloke

949 Restoration
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:17 PM »

Not being able to see 949 go to the big boat yard in the sky, its owner wanting to burn it. I appear to have been talked into sailing it in 2008.

A weekend of sanding and inspecting makes me now interested in any pointers to:

a) early history / builder of this boat

b) Where I might find a mast - will put a wanted in the classifieds on this site, but any other places I should look, eg is it the same mast as other classes?

c) Tempted to look for a carbon boom, the one currently with it looks like it could do some serious damage to my head, good or bad idea?

d) Although drying it out throughly before I do anything, can I fill with some west system epoxy where there are patches of the deck have lost a layer of wood due to damp. Its a shame not to redeck it, but don't think I have the skills/time.

e) Looking for a sail for it too - suggested material type and sail makers that are known for a good phantom sail

I'm just Club sailing, but we do have a couple of plastic ones with carbon masts that ought to be shown wood is best.

I stood well back from its battle scars and damp bits to take the photo.......

davidh

Re: 949 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »

wow - this could be a real looker, with or without the redecking.

896 has got painted decks which is a real shame. Like you I've neither the skills nor the time to do a major redecking exercise, the plan is to just get the boat sailing then see what needs to be done for the longer term.

Do you know who built 949?

DH

Russell

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »

Its always worth talking to Jeff at Vandercraft for secondhand bits etc.  I think the carbon is well worth it.  As for sails, if its just for club racing and you are looking secondhand it probably won't make a huge amount of difference which make you use, but depending on your weight you may want to look for a fully/flatter cut.

I have heard of people using masts from other classes, Fireballs get mentioned sometimes.  But thing is you really need the lowers so its probably as well to source a Phantom one.  I belive Jeff is doing a new light weight alloy one now.

I restored an old Contender a few years ago, Where I had delaminations I used epoxy to fill the bad bits but inset pieces of veneer on top so it looked like a wooden repair, in fact you could hardly see them at all.  Looks like a nicely built boat, it should be worth spending some time on.

Good luck!

Russell

Rich

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

Certainly a nice boat and would appear to need a lot less work than 499 which I am currently restoring. I too, also need a secondhand sail and will be interested to hear how you get on.

Rich
499 Undergoing Restoration

mardibloke

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »

Found out a little more, appears the boat came from a Burghfield sailor a few years ago, and built by a builder called Chapman.

No idea if its typical these were professionally built or not?

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »

Hi,
Chapman boats have previously won championships and with a bit of tlc (and a fair bit of wallet exposure) should be competitive.
Try Fireball booms for shortening to fit.
Good luck.
Chris.
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

SChilds

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »

Just been in the loft and looked out the original measurement form for 949.

1st owner Norman Smith from Reading. Built by Reg Chapman in May 1994, weighed in at 61kg according to the Form.
Simon
1376- :-)

Russell

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »

61Kg for a wooden self drainer - very impressive!

Russell

mardibloke

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »

Thanks for the information chaps, especially Simon for digging out the measurement certificate.

Bit more work, and looks all solid hull wise.  The only thing letting it down from still being pretty is the side decks. 

Have contacted someone to come have a look and help me understand how much work it would be to redeck it,  so things are on hold right now.

But still looking for a mast.

Now sanded top and bottom with P300 and rub down with turps you can see it has the potential to be a pretty boat

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:54:30 PM by mardibloke »

Miniwebbuddah

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »

Looking gorgeous.

Hope to see it racing soon - keep the faith and the good work up!

Jools

El Presidente

Pete Evans

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »

Try an Enterprise mast. I put one on my dearly departed 1147 and it fit okay, including the shrouds.

You need a fitting riveted/bolted on to take the forestay and lowers, but other than that its straight forward. The Gooseneck is in the right place as well.

Roger

Roger

mardibloke

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

Thanks for the pointer Roger, I was watching it, but it went for £100 beyond my budget.

nick crook

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »

After having almost been knocked-out by my alloy boom and woke to find myself under the sail, looking at 17ft of clear water beneath me, I immediately bought a carbon boom.  It still whacks your head but it is sooo light, it just becomes an annoyance.  Windy gybes become very much easier, too.
Carbon masts are costly so buy a Selden Kappa instead.  Flexible, it dumps those wicked gusts without luffing you into the wind.

I find a Rush #1 Dacron sail pulls like a train.  Tim Rush has made Phantom and Fireball sails for eons. (Almost the same sail.) Cost is attractive, too.  See his website for details.(I'm not on a commission!)
Nick 1272

Christina the astonishing

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

Got any update pics?

It looks lovely!

James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up