Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 10:24:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phantom 896 reappears  (Read 2843 times)

davidh

phantom 896 reappears
« on: January 20, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

Good news (I hope!). Phantom 896, a Claridge built hull, has changed hands and is now  joining two other wooden (but 'modern') boats at Netley. This is my first Phantom, although the season before last I raced against the Netley boats in a Blaze, that experience suggests that I'm going to have a hard time catching Mike Stroud in his Tim Coombe built flyer!

Does anyone know the 'history' of 896, does it have any previous 'record'?

David

John Torrance

Re: phantom 896 reappears
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »

David
I think 896 was owned by ex class secretary Barry Noon, this and all the Claridge boats were very quick. Welcome to the class and good luck with it.
John

davidh

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »

John,

Thanks for that - JC was always a very clever boat builder and with conditions at Lymington not dissimilar to Netley I'm hopeful that I'll have a good 'all round' hull, despite the age. I've already got a carbon rig for it and once I can see what it is that I want will probably add a Wavelength dacron to go onto that - though the tin rig is there as and when the 'classic status' is the primary driver.

I'll add some pics shortly

D

springer

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »

Hi David,
I bought 896 from Barry Noon when he was forced to give up sailing for health reasons.  I had 2 good seasons in her until knee trouble forced me out for a while so I sold on.  Good solid boat and very comfortable to sial.  You will enjoy.
See you around.
John B. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up