Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 10:05:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Phantom Mast Support - Beware, it needs some help !!  (Read 2336 times)

low-bouyancy-man

Classic Phantom Mast Support - Beware, it needs some help !!
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »

??? ??? Have just removed the decks off 909 to find the original builder followed the designers' plans and only supported the mast on a 'King post'. There were no carlins to reduce compression from the shrouds when under tension amd absolutely no support to the chines. The bottom of the 'king post' was mounted on an 18" long glassed in "short hog". It is clear that ANY rig tension applied to these boats with the standard configuration, if mine is typical, would see the 'king post' collapse. I've heard that this was a regular occurance years ago. :-\

So what's the answer?  I am placing the equivalent of a ply bulkhead under the mast foot point that will place support to the chines, effectively spreading the mast load through the hull panels and then provide gunnel support at deck level. Additional pieces will be epoxied to the ply section from mast foot to the chine and mast foot to gunnel points. I'm also adding carlins to stop the deck being compressed between shroud plates and mast foot. That should stop any change in hull shape at this point and support the mast much better.

With the former build, the rig tension would have had to be 'zero', only allowing tension as being weight induced by the helm and sail effort. With the supported bulkhead in the latter configuration, I reckon 200 lbs tension will be possible and rig should hold up better in choppy conditions and improve performance somewhat!  :) :D ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:45:13 PM by low-bouyancy-man »
Pages: [1]   Go Up