Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 01:17:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not much being written about older woodies !  (Read 2858 times)

dinghysailor

• www.flickr.com/photos/dinghysailor
    • Flickr photos
Not much being written about older woodies !
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »

Hi
Just thought I would see if I could kick start some dialogue about the older woodies out there.

I sail no. 671 on the River Trent in Nottingham. I don't have much information on the history of this boat but from the number I guess she was built late 70's. There are quite a few photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinghysailor/.

Sailing on the river does present some particular challenges. We don't often get the chance to set up for a fast reach and hang on in there, normally lots of tacking and numerous dead spots. We have trees on the bank creating wind shadows, current on the water, rowers and party boats. I also sail in a mixed fleet so the latest tweak to the PY number does not help a fat lad in a Phantom. I did approach the club about a revised 'old boat' handicap but no luck I'm afraid.

I would be interested in any advice on set ups for an older wooden boat. I am obviously careful about too much tension on the rig and high pointing is important because I don't have much choice in sailing wide on our restricted waters. The few rigging guides I have found all talk about much newer hulls and set ups. There is still some life in the old girl so any ideas (without spending) would be gratefully accepted. Also good to see any pictures of other classic Phantoms.  :)
Keith
The Nottingham Sailing Club
Phantom 671

Phan1023

Re: Not much being written about older woodies !
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »

Hello dinghy sailer,

As you may have read from one of my posts I too sail a woodie as do three others in my club, we sail on a small pond in the midlands, sail numbers are 483,1023,1098,1117.
We have close racing every week and enjoy our sailing, we sail of 1046 which we have agreed in the club, as we rarely get chance to power up the old beasts!!
If we could get enough old woodies together perhaps we should try to arrange a get together and a few races?
Perhaps then we could swop ideas and talk varnish!

Little Monster

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »

There is a Classics start at the Creaksea event over the second may bank holiday.  There will be plenty of beer around as well as there are a couple of birthdays and a wedding to celebrate....

Come and join in
Cheers
Ian

dinghysailor

• www.flickr.com/photos/dinghysailor
    • Flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »

See, I knew you were all out there somewhere !

I can't make it this time but there is a CVRDA meeting at Huntingdon over the weekend and although Phantoms do not normally qualify as one of their listed 'old boats' I understand that they have extended a welcome to any old woodies. If you like lots of varnish and a chance to see some real classics I can confirm they are a very friendly bunch. Have a look at the link below and check out their events section in the forum.
http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/hunts-national-rally-2013/
Keith
The Nottingham Sailing Club
Phantom 671

calum

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »

Wondered where my old boat got to, I used to own 1094 beautiful yellow Ledger. Raced it extesively in Scotland out of Edinburgh, hope it is still looking good. If new owner wants some pictures I can send on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up