Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 10:06:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Events for the woody's  (Read 3284 times)

Phan1023

Events for the woody's
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »

Ok this is my first post to the forum!

I have a self draining woody (1023) I'm sure the boat is overweight ect ect. I sail at a small midlands club with 5 other woody's and we have great racing between us every Sunday. We love to get out and often go sailing for a boys weekend away with sailing and beer a plenty!

There must be a lot of woody's about, we love our boats and would love to attend more events together but wonder what sort of reception we would receive and if it's worth it against the new epoxy boats?

Olly

Re: Events for the woody's
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »

Morning,
I would work in the a phantom is a phantom basis.
We welcome all class members. Where do you sail.
Olly Hopkins

ollieshaw

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »

Hello 1023,

Maybe a "Woody" series prize for the Travellers' events? Get enough to turn up for enough events and it may be worthwhile.

Please do come to the Midlands-v-North event at Blithfield SC on Sunday 6 July 2014, it'd be great to see so many Woodies sailing together.

Ollie

Adam

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »

Try Filey regatta in the summer, 21st and 22nd of June. Its a good weekend with 2 races each day. Plenty of tine for a BBQ and a few Beers on the Saturday night and you can camp near the sailing club.

Its also on the Northern circuit this year so there should be a few of us there. Last year they used a different handicap for a woody that was was there, 1040 I think.

Adam

Phan1023

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

Thanks for your invite Ollie, we would love to come along, we all sail at Greensforge SC, it's interesting sailing the Phantoms on a small res in the Midlands! We do get out to the Bala long distance and coppet week at Saundersfoot SC but must confess that two of us sail a fireball normally at these events.
We want to get out more with our Phantoms this year! We have thought about the midlands Travellers' Events? I do like the sound of Filey!

Bwgan

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »

Why not come up to Leigh & Lowton SC on the Sat & Sun 29 & 30 March. There's some Race Training on the Saturday followed by a few races and then 3 races on the Sunday.  I think there'll some videoing of the racing to go along with the training. Only an hour up the M6 from Greensforge SC
Alex

Olly

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »

We also have an open at bowmoor on the 15 the march. We had a woody there last year.
Olly Hopkins

Adam

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:09 PM »

Hopefully I'll have a road trailer by then.

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »

You would be very welcome at the Creeksea open meeting on 31st May 1st June.  We have a fleet of woodies who would welcome some competition and we always have a trophy for the first wooden boat.

Titch manages to come EVERY year from Northampton and we often have boats from further afield.

The weekend is always a great social event with camping on site and you'd soon hear all the tales and tips on Phantom sailing.

Another good option would be the training at Alton Water early in the season.  Boat tune may be of interest and the race practise sharpens everyone up. That's easy from the A14 for you.

I'd just add - do it and you won't regret it!
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Phan1023

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »

Thanks for all your responses, we are defiantly interested in the Midlands events and possibly some others further afield!
I really think the class should put on a prize for the woodies at the Nationals ect, the Fireball class have this and have an excellent buddy system for the new guys.

Dave (1023)
Pages: [1]   Go Up