Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 12:00:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transom rebuild  (Read 1951 times)

Phantomuk

Transom rebuild
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »

The transom on my wooden phantom is holding water and very soggy

It was completely replaced by the person that sold me the boat but it looks like it wasn't the best job

as soon as I got the boat on the water the rudder pintles that were screwed on broke off and then the gudgon soon followed the same fate

I have since bolted now ones through the transom but found how wet the wood was when I was drilling the bolt holes

also the water drain flaps are too high and as the wood is warping let water in when i sit aft of the boat

Now I have bolted the pintles and gudgeon on I fear the whole transom will be next to break off

I am not in a position to scrap the boat as yet and was hoping to keep sailing it through the winter and buy an epoxy boat in the spring

is rebuilding the transom a massive job and is there anyone out there that would do this?

what sort of price would I be looking at to get it done?

I only spent £500 on getting the boat so not worth spending a whole lot on to get it done

gordon Kingston

Re: Transom rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »

Hi Transom
I know not ideal, but could you bolt/ fix an additional piece of wood to the outside for this winter and fix your rudder fittings through this? As the transom goes into the side buoyancy tanks I would have thought it was fairly major to replace the whole thing. I am no woodworker or boat builder hence my looking for an easy fix.
Just a thought, hope somebody with more experience of home builds gives you a more complete solution soon.
I did the same thing buying an old wooden boat for a winter to see if I liked the Phantom, don't buy a grp boat before going for the epoxy as mine was awful and nearly put me off the whole thing.
Gordon
1277 for sale in the classifieds.

M. Nield

Re: Transom rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »

Hi phantom uk
I am no expert, but my brother is a boat builder and I give him a hand from time to time.  From my experience this sounds like quite a large job, once rot is in there it can spread quickly sometimes there can be much more work than you actually think.
However it would be down to a boat builder to have a look at it and diagnose the problem.  I know it can at times be time consuming work, making it expensive.  You are welcome to pick my brothers brains about it he is called James this is his email nieldy007@hotmail.co.uk
Matt
Matt 1309
Pages: [1]   Go Up