Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 09:35:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom 607  (Read 28082 times)

Bwgan

Phantom 607
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »

Hi All,

Just after some advice after buying my first Phantom (Classic).  I have a few questions hopefully someone could answer ???

1.  It came with an old Needle spar mast (olypic rings logo) it has no spreaders or lowers, i'm guessing i will have to change this to a more modern one?  (If any one has got any spare cheap ones after changing to carbon?).  also came with the same make boom (toblerone shape) which is kinda cool :-P

2. When we bopught the boat it had no slot gasket? do they have one and which is best? (hopefully they last longer than my 400!)

3.  I need a new cover (i see purple have a offer atm)  which would people recomend PVC (£112.20)/Polycotten(£157.25)?

4. I've weighed the boat (hull), came to 60kgs without any fittings and center board etc. what weight should it be? (not that this boat is going to win anything! but always nice to know or maybe not  :o

Progress Report:(after 2 weeks)
I've stripped it all down to the wood removing all the tape on the outside hull and now have started to tape it all back.  Will be starting on the inside on the weekend so should have a launch date before x-mas.  i would put some picture up but don't know how too! :-(

Thanks in advance (I'm sure there'll be more questions soon)

Alex
Phantom 607

jeffers

Re: Phantom 607
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:25:08 PM »

Hi Alex,
Hopefully I can help even though I'm no expert on wooden boats -

Slot gasket - mylar seems to work very well. I guess that your boat has a keelband on it and maybe some of this bacnd runs around the outside of where the gasket used to go. If this is the case then you could go for overlapping sailcloth type (see Northampton Sailboats for this type). If not the mylar is just stuck on the outside on the platic boats using a contact adhesive, might work on yours. It has no overlap, just two bits stuck side by side. If you do this put a thin bit of wide tape over the front to stop the leading edge of it from lifting.

The cover - go for the more expensive polycotton one, it will help the wood breathe which is essential to keep it looking good.

The hull with all fittings, permanently attached rope & centreboard has a minimum weight of 61kg. I guess that with all of the above added it shouldn't be too heavy.

Best best for the mast is dependant on your weight. I used a M7 Superspar on my plastic boat to good effect. It does appear to be made from a scaffolding pole though so you'll need to be fit/heavy.

As for putting the photos on here, use the attach function just below this window that you write your post in. They must be no larger than 128kB and you can post two at a time.

Goodluck
MaxiB

Bwgan

Re: Phantom 607
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »

Hi MaxiB

Thanks for the reply.

It has no keelband so i'll go with sticking it on like the 400! at least i've had plenty of practice!  >:(

I'm about 100kg and fit so this sounds the right mast for me!  so i'll be on the look out for an old one :-)

I had a look for the attaching function but i don't seem to have it?  looked it up in help and it comes after the 3 tick boxs about replies/topic/smilies.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up