Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 09:37:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: False floor  (Read 2232 times)

AlexOg

False floor
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »

Hi guys,

So I'm stuck at uni with my boat all the way at home and I need something to get me through the long hard slog of assignments. I want to put together a design for a false floor for my boat on an absolute shoestring budget (ie I can't afford to buy one). However, my boat is abit old and abit crap, and that's putting it nicely.

Basically I want to make a 3D model of my cockpit on Maxsurf (don't know if anyone's familiar with this program) so I can see how much volume I'd actually be enclosing and whether the bouyancy this provides will be greater than the weight of wood I'd be slogging around. Also before you ask: yes I am a physics student and yes this is making things needlessly complicated. I can't afford to buy a set of plans to make my 3D model from so I'll probably have to wait to get home so I can take an unending number of measurements to make something half accurate.

So....anyone willing to lend me a set of plans to make the whole exercise easier? I promise I won't use them to make a boat and I'll even provide you with some nice shiny pictures at the end, yum!

Thanks
Alex
Phantom 829
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:32:51 PM by AlexOg »

AlexOg

Re: False floor
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »

Hi again,

I've made the 3D model of the cockpit now and it's looking pretty good. Some of it's abit wonky but it's not easy trying to take measurements you can actually use using bits of string and a tape measure! Anyway, Maxsurf is telling me that I get about 200 kilograms of bouyancy inclosed by adding in a cockpit floor which is great. I'll be going ahead with designs for everything when I'm back at university.

HOWEVER: This whole project would be far easier if I had some plans to hand and didn't have to try and fudge it out for myself. I know it's asking a lot but if anyone has some plans knocking about that they'd like to lend me I would be eternally greatful (and owe you many, many beers). I'll even send you the postage on paypal and return them as fast as I can. I don't have the cash to buy a set myself so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Phantom 829
Pages: [1]   Go Up