Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 08:17:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone rebuilding an old wooden Phantom?  (Read 3778 times)

low-bouyancy-man

Is anyone rebuilding an old wooden Phantom?
« on: May 28, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »

;) If anyone is doing this, please could they email me with the basic particulars (boat number, Club where it will be eventually be sailed and their contact details) so I can discuss it with them and let them know what plans are being considered by the Association for their future fun in the boat.   Mike 8)

tumbleweed

Re: Is anyone rebuilding an old wooden Phantom?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:53 PM »

Hi Mike, Its not a rebuild ,but i have just completed a new wooden boat at home to the original design, ie, non self draining full width side tanks etc,with modern rig though it looks good and goes even better. I believe that you can build a new wooden boat down to wieght if you leave the self draining floor out. ( you,re not going to win anyway if you keep capsizing).
  I noticed in the phanmail a definition of what is to be considered a classic whats your opinion on this and perhaps an open debate could be opened on the forum regarding this matter, and the future of classics.
regards Angus  1262

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »

Hi Angus,

It is known that non-self drainers can be built down to weight, but it can be difficult. Most weighed in at more than 70 kgs in the past. Well done if your is down to weight. Yes, you should find it is quick, weight in these boats is definitely the killer of speed. Please let me have your details and a photo of the craft for the record?

Has your boat been measured yet and if not where are you? We can make arrangements to have this done and you can then be a genuine Phantom.

Welcome to the elete single handers' class!

The idea for a Forum on this overall topic is good and I hope to get it started soon. Keep an eye on the forum.

Regards,

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:49:01 PM by low-bouyancy-man »

tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »

Hi Mike, I would like to get the boat measured , but not urgently, if you can point me in the right direction about getting this done i would be greatful . The boat is currently being sailed at Scammonden SC but in the mixed fleet (only phantom at the club), if you know of any phantom fleets at clubs nearby i would be happy to change clubs next year.
regards Angus. 1262

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »

Hi Angus,

I know Scammonden well, having sailed there when the odd Open was held there.

The Official measurers are few and far between. I think the nearest to you is the Class Chairman, Jools Abel, who resides at Rossendale, Lancs and can be contacted on 01706-228251. The next is Andrew Elliott at Sheffield and who can be contacted on 01909-568209. Otherwise, I would be the next at Derby.

Jools will be the best to talk to about other clubs etc.

Keep in touch and I hope you enjoy the Phantom.

Regards,

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up